Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tacos de Trompo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tacos de Trompo

So followed a recipe on Tasty but ventured out a bit. My wife is from Mexico so I am working on perfecting my taco game. The marinade I modified was mainly vinegar, pineapple juice, ancho powder, paprika, and chili powder. You slice up the pork shoulder and then putting it on a spit then cook on the oven well I decided to do it on my WSM rotisserie. Tompo is usually vertical on a spit well I figured I would go horizontal. Things I learned. Using wood chunks in the WSM was a bit too much smoke for me. It gets more smoked because it is sliced on the spit. So next time just charcoal. The other thing is stop the rotisserie because you can cut yourself trying to carve off meat while it is spinning. Also the original recipe calls for Anchiote paste which I thought about making but seemed to always have like 10 ingredients.

BriggsBBQ, Would You mind Posting Your Recipe? It sound very interesting and Good To Boot!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Nice compromise I have found in such cases is to use the Oak, Hickory, or Mesquite charcoal briquets. Too much smoke can be bad, but some smoke flavor is always desirable, at least in my opinion. They impart flavor n magic, even on a direct cook.

I'm always all about tacos de" "
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 2, 2016, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed, even kingsford blue has some smoke. I just stay out of that damn oven.

I never try to cut anything while its spinning. Im also am interested in your recipe. Thanks...
      Last edited by HawkerXP; November 2, 2016, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I did 1 tbs of paprika, 1 tbs acho chile powder, 1 tbs cumin, 1 tbs of salt, 1 tbs pepper, 1 tbs garlic powder, 1 tbs onion powder, 1 cup of pineapple, and then added vinegar to taste about 3/4 cup. Marinated for couple hours. The tasty recipe used achiote, which I think I might have to try this weekend.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          BriggsBBQ, Thanks fo Your Build List for "Taco's de Trompo" I Am Going to Try This Shortly❗️ I have a Feeling it's Going to End Up Pre Mixed in My Rub & Spice Cabinet‼️ 🤗😇🤗 👍👍👍👍👍
          From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND❗️ Dan

I do a similar thing for pork tacos (al Pastor). thinly sliced marinated pork (I like tenderloin), pineapple slices--layer them in a rotisserie basket. Cook 'til done. Empty the basket onto a platter, chop up the meat and pineapple. Build your tacos from there.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
          BriggsBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Great idea of layering in the pineapple. Also would give some more structure to my rotisserie stack. The cool thing is it really does cook fast.

Here's a link to a recipe I found the other day:

It’s Taco Tuesday! Or maybe it’s taco ANYday because, let’s face it, there’s never NOT a good day to eat a taco. But you don’t want something basic. You want the real deal, and we’re here to make that dream come true. With our super flavorful tacos al pastor, you’ll feel like you’re at a food truck on a beach, chowing down on some of the best eats around.

Comment

BriggsBBQ I am going to try this rotisserie al pastor on sunday for a super bowl party. Just wanted to know, what temp did you cook it at and how did it take to cook?

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
            BriggsBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry for the late response. I have no temp. I just run the fire wide open and usually the lid says about 300. Timing takes probably around 30min and then you can scrap off the outside and keep it going. I usually get 3 batches in a cook.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here