Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat Pies with Hot Water Pastry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat Pies with Hot Water Pastry

Hot Water Pastry is something SO cool! It is also nearly unheard of, these days. it really should make a comeback. when you consider how simple it is and how easy to use. Hot water pastry uses the gelatinous powers of flour to create a lovely, crunchy, crumbly pastry. instead of the holes you create with small slivers of fat in cold pastry. you crate a network of delicate flour interconnections with the explosion of the molecule and the trapping of water within them. then, the water dries in the oven, and you have this gorgeous, delicate, delicious crust. a pastry that can take all the shaping and playing you want to do with it. playdough that tastes great!

Start with 2 cups flour and a teaspoon of salt in a bowl. set aside

1 cup water
    1 stick butter
    2 tablespoons lard or shortening

Filling:
    ground, minced or small chopped meats
    1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
    salt & pepper to taste

optional ingredients
    I like using some bread crumbs and some powdered gelatin. this makes the final meat mixture a little lighter and the gelatins capture the meat juices as the pie cooks, holding your flavor.
    any meat you like, varieties of flavorings. I like to use Worcestershire, a little gelatin for moisture, you can add some veg, if you want, i rarely do myself. use whatever kinds of meat you have on hand. England uses mostly pork, Scotland uses lamb and maybe beef. Ireland is mostly beef. you can toss in whatever you wish.

Heat water & oils together to melt oils and water to just boiling

pour hot water and oil into flour and mix quickly. you will see the flour become a translucent gel in the bowl. you want to mix quickly to gelatinze as much of the flour as possible before all the water is absorbed. mix well, using a spoon until the dough is cool enough to handle, then your hands. fold it over a few times to make it smooth, then let it cool.

once cooled, I prefer refrigerating to get it cold so that it can be shaped and hold shape better. it will keep int he fridge for days.

To use for meat pies, take out some dough and cut chucks. one recipe of this pastry should make 4-6 pies, depending on size. separate dough into 4-6 pieces. cover what you aren't using at any time to keep moist.

work the dough enough to shape. using 3/4 of each piece of dough, roll the dough nice and thin into a circle.

put a food ring or other shaping device, or, if need, a small pie tin or even use muffin tins if you want to cook in a container. I use a food ring. I lay out some parchment paper under the food ring, as well. this makes transferring the pie much easier and the pie, baked with just a little parchment paper under the bottom, won't stick to the grate and the bottom will sty solid.

line the food ring with the pastry, shaping the pastry up the sides to make a straight sided pie. mix meat and spices. do NOT pack the meat. drop the meat into the pie crust by small pieces. i pull the ground meat apart to prevent a giant, compacted meatball.

with the meat in the crust, roll out the small piece of remaining dough, and place it over the meat but INSIDE the outer edges of the casing sides. seal the sides of the pie crust to the lid.

gently slide the food ring up the sides of the pie and off. if you have to squish in the top, that's OK, you can spread them a little when you are done, but this pie works best as straight sided as possible.

Brush the entire pie, top & sides, with egg wash

Bake in 400 degree oven until filling reaches 165 degrees at least and crust is GBD (Golden Brown Delicious)

Serve with Brown sauce or any preferred condiments

Happy Eating! Click image for larger version

Name:	One.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	223904

Karon, many thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Porterdriver
      Porterdriver commented
      Editing a comment
      x2 Karon. Thanks for the share and this is definitely on my list of must-makes!

you'll enjoy it. the thinner you can make the crust, the crispier it will be. If you want a bit of gravy inside, you can take about a half teaspoon of powdered gelatin, mix that wil a couple of tablespoons of flour, put your salt and spices in the flour and toss that with the meat to coat the meat. that way, as the meat cooks, the flour & gelatin will create a gravy in the pie. do that in place of the breadcrumbs or in addition, whichever you prefer.

This is the kind of thing that is infinitely versatile. you can use it with any filling. you can fill the filling, if you like, adding in potatoes or rice, even beans. any spice mixture that you like, do Mexican or BBQ or Asian, it goes on and on. you can also flavor the crust, adding in some spice to the flour, use different fats. if you are going BBQ, you can use one of my favorite tricks and save the oil/lard portion of BBQ dripping and use that for the lard portion in the hot water pastry, viola, you have BBQ flavor and a hint of smoke in the pastry.

this even lends itself beautifully to desserts. use fruit filling or fruit and even a custard, put on your lid, wash and sprinkle with large crystal sugars and you have a lovely dessert pie. i LOVE using this with frozen cherries for dessert pies.

OOOPS! I just remembered, i need top put something in the oven.....

Comment

Here's a little trick that helps getting the crust to cook evenly:

Go to a hardware store or hobby store and get either 1 36" dowel, (and cut in half), or two shorter dowels in diameters from 1/8" to 1/4". Lay a pair on either side of the dough for your rolling pin to ride on when the dough gets thin enough. That way the dough will be a uniform thickness and will cook evenly. As a bonus, since you can repeat the thickness, you can get a handle on cooking time.

Comment

yup. that's a favorite. though these pies are also part of what is traditionally called "Hand raised". that means you take the ball of dough and mold it by hand, like throwing a pot. I prefer to roll these out, though, because it means I can make them thinner. These little pies look tiny. and they are only an inch or two in diameter, but, when you put them together, they are much more filling than they look. even a small one has at least 4 oz of meat in them. just a half inch of diameter adds a good bit of meat to the finished pie. that's a full meal. In England, these are sold at football games and eaten out of hand. also, many places make Trotter Jelly and bake the pies, then cool them. once cool, they pour in trotter jelly through the vent hole and let that cool and set up. when you eat it, the trotter jelly creates a much more moist mouthfeel. I do a similar thing with the powdered gelatin, just letting it absorb the meat juices in the first place instead of letting them,m cook out and replacing them.

Comment

What with winter coming, looks & sounds like a nice cozy type cook & eat. Muchos gracias!

Comment

Great idea, and nice write-up! Thanks for sharing.
            Last edited by Thunder77; September 30, 2016, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here