Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to use instead of Cooking Sherry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to use instead of Cooking Sherry

Got a neat little recipe. Will provide picture below. I don't gots (technical term) any cooking wines at all. Would it kill to leave it out??

The chicken broth and the sherry are flashed out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160903_010042.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	216965

Comment

Given that recipe i'd just use a half cup of dry white wine. Definately don't use any of the cooking sherry that is on the shelf of the grocery store.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I typically use for chicken with tarragon. And ... don't use any kind of cooking wine in anything - loaded with salt and yucky tasting. In general, the better the wine is for drinking, the better it works in cooking.

Lots of recipes for Chinese food call for Shaoxing wine. Then they say that if you can't find that wine sub cooking sherry for it, so I think you could use Shaoxing wine. However, be careful what you buy because many of these wines, (both sherry and Shaoxing), have salt added, and you don't want that added salt. It will be easier to sub a dry white wine like Mitrakas suggests. But if you find a Shaoxing wine without the added salt, please let me know...

Comment

Sherry is a fortified wine as is Port. Using fortified wines in a recipe gives it a richness and depending on the sherry used, a sweetness. If you can get Port, then halve the amount and use Ruby Port for richness and sweetness or Tawny Port for richness and slight sweetness or White Port for just richness. Definitely NOT Vintage Port and I have no idea about Crusted Port.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Port's character is much different than sherry.

• Kirton
          Kirton commented
          Editing a comment
          True. That is why I said halve the amount.

• ExtraChrispy
          ExtraChrispy commented
          Editing a comment
          Ruby Ports tend to have a fruitier taste, whereas Tawny Ports tend to be more spicy/nutty. Not spicy as in "pepper" but spicy as in "clove, mace, nutmeg...."

Having said that, I'm not too well-versed in sherries. Madeira, on the other hand... Madeira stands up well to abuse. While wines want to be stored in a cool, dry, dark place, Madeira does better if you store it in your attic. Not sure how it might affect your dish though, but hey, that's why cooking is always an experiment, right?
          Last edited by ExtraChrispy; September 3, 2016, 01:26 PM.

Xiaoshing is a perfect sub, but I'm gonna guess JB doesn't have it, either. Hard apple cider? That's the next best sub.

You could use 1/4c apple cider vinegar with 1/4c water. Or you could use a quarter cup of vanilla extract. I'm betting you have ACV on hand.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, PLENTY apple cider.

I'd like to hear Meathead 's take on this. Especially if he could come up with a source of unsalted Shaoxing. I have heard he knows a thing or two about wine.

Comment

If you wanted to stay true to the recipe, you also could see about getting an inexpensive bottle of Manzanilla sherry to use. Be aware that any unused manzanilla will deteriorate like a white wine after opening and is best young and fresh, so see about possibly getting a 375 of it if you are just going to cook with it; or get a nice one and use some in your recipe and enjoy the rest with your meal. It's a bit of an acquired taste but is very good and surprisingly food friendly.

Comment

I think unsalted Shaoxing should be available at any large Asian market and many large liquor stores. In Tucson, Lee Lee Market carries it in several versions. I'd bet they didn't even know it came in a salted version. NEVER buy a "cooking" wine.
            Last edited by Willy; September 3, 2016, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Willy - there is a large Asian market the other side of town. It carries many types of Asian wine, but all the Shaoxing has salt added. The chain Total Wines doesn't even carry any Shaoxing. Every Shaoxing Amazon carries had salt added the last time I checked...

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              RonB I have a bottle, it's a brown ceramic almost-sphere, with no salt from the Asian mkt I mentioned. Re Amazon, I'm guessing they can't sell any alcohol. I'm surprised TW doesn't carry it, but, I must admit, that was an assumption on my part since they ALWAYS have every weird liquor I need.

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              RonB Curse the 300 character limit! LOL. Maybe the Asian store you frequent has cooking wine in one place and a separate "real liguor" section? Do they sell other alcoholic products?

If'n wine isn't an option, I'd guess chicken stock would make a fine substitution, maybe with a splash of vinegar or lemon juice for tang.

Comment

Never use any alcohol labeled "cooking ...". I keep a bottle of medium dry sherry on hand for just these sorts of occasions. If I run out of that (doh!), brandy is a pretty good alternative. Generally, you can safely assume that virtually all of the alcohol will cook out of pretty much any dish.

Comment

I use Sherry Wine Vinegar in a marinade for chicken thighs and pork chops. It's very good.

Comment

I'm going to try a little bit of apple cider vinegar. I wouldn't know a good wine if it jumped into my buggy at the store.

Like on that Canadian sitcom Corner Gas. It took place In a small prairie town.

"What's your house wine?"

"Hey, what's in that box over there, no no no that's ketchup!"
                  ​​​
                  "You know what, I'll just have a beer."

Comment

I use cream sherry a lot, but it is sweet. You probably don't want that so a dry sherry would work. Sherries last a long time after they are uncorked so it is no problem to get some and use just a bit. They are a great thing to have in your pantry.

I wouldnt think vinegar would substitute very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                      I'm going to try a little bit of apple cider vinegar.
                      Vinegar? Ouch! I'd use plain apple juice if that's all I had ... but not vinegar.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                        Editing a comment
                        I dig vinegar. Love me some tart. I grew up eating cracklins dipped in vinegar.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here