Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer brisket

I do a little deer hunting behind my house and was wondering if a deer brisket would cook the same as a beef brisket.

Jerod Broussard

Comment

i would imagine it would be way too lean to cook like a beef brisket but i have no experience

Comment

Not sure. Having skinned plenty deer I've never attempted to save what could be a brisket.

I figure it would take a pretty big deer just to get something that weighed over 1 pound.

Comment

I have to agree with DeusDingo, I'm thinking you are going to have a moisture problem due to lack of fat. If you listen to Aaron Franklin, he is even particular about what types of cows you need to use for brisket. Those that are more free range aren't fatty enough for a good brisket and he recommends staying away from them even though they are more expensive.

Comment

I would cook it like a trip-tip or flank steak. That brisket is going to be so lean, you cant go low and slow on it. Your better off with the hot and fast method. Especially, since it will be a much smaller cut of meat. Just my two cents. Let us know what you end up doing.
            Last edited by Spinaker; August 3, 2016, 09:19 AM.

Comment

There's a nice hunk of fat there where it wld be....works great in the suet feeder haha 😆

Comment

Probably would be too lean as you say. I'll just keep some steaks and the tenderloin and grind the rest in burger as usual. Thanks for your input.

Comment

• Juddlight
                  Juddlight commented
                  Editing a comment
                  One thing i do enjoy tho is the ribs...rubbed n smoked til they tug apart...😋

I agree with Spinaker and the rest of the gang. I've cooked a lot of deer meat on my smoker and grill and find that the most important thing is to shoot for medium rare. I have slow cooked some tenderloins on my smoker but made sure that I didn't overcook them. Hot n' fast works great too, but you can smoke deer meat and enjoy good results so long as you keep an eye on the meat temps. I actually prefer the slow cooked method only because it has time to form a smoke ring and absorb some of that smoke flavor. You can also try stuffing some of your venison cuts with butter, rice dressing, cream cheese or other concoctions that add a little moisture. Again, you just have to be careful not to overcook the meat because it gets tough (and I think it tastes more gamey when it's well done). YMMV.

Comment

• LangInGibsonia
                  LangInGibsonia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1 for all of this in my experience.

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree wholeheartedly, this is my experience too. And I've cooked a lot of game.

Agree with all the above. Venison too lean for low & slow. If you want to try something different with it, take a big muscle off the hind leg & make "corned venison". Corned deer & cabbage is awesome!

Comment

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agreed. My hunting days are just a memory now, but I used to enjoy what I called venison ham. It made great sandwiches, too.

I have harvested many deer and process my own. A " deer brisket " would be to small and lean to treat like a beef brisket. I have never tried. My processing method Grinds all front shoulders, flanks, and neck meat. If you wanted to truly smoke venison it would have to be a complete hind quarter.

Comment

Neighbor is bringing over some venison steaks today, specifically wants it smoked. I do not know what specific cuts they are.

Due to the lean nature, my inclination is to smoke this like I do the pre-seasoned salmon steaks I get from HV:

Wrap semi loosely in foil, leaving some access for smoke, with 1-2T of butter rubbed on the meat.
                  Light dalmation.
                  Keep far away from the direct heat.
                  Monitor closely for temp, color, etc.
                  Maybe, jus' maybe, reverse sear to finish. Kinda depends on appearance at desired IT...

This is my plan, welcoming any suggestions, or flaws in my logic pointed out.

THANKS, and
                  Sláinte!

Comment

Not that this is some sort of earth shattering culinary innovation, but I've had bacon wrapped deer steaks before and they are great.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good suggestion, thanks for jogging my memory,. Duly noted for consideration...

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here