Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pasty Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pasty Recipe

I had previously promised to share my wife's family recipe but she told me that she does it all by sight and does not have a written recipe. So she found this one and said it is a solid recipe. I think that ceramic cookers are probably made for this. I don't know about the fish in this recipe I have never seen that here or in England. This recipe is for six people but pasties freeze well so don't worry about cooking too much if you are cooking for two.
    Recipe source: https://www.facebook.com/notes/yoope...35747343103700 CRUST:
    1 cup lard---but Crisco will work
    3 cups flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1 cup very cold water

FILLING:
    1 1/2 lbs.pasty meat (about) NOTE: Pasty meat is typically 3/4 coarse ground beef to 1/4 coarse ground pork, but I've heard of other things being used...including venison, beef steak, chicken, and fish.
    4-5 diced potatoes
    1 small diced rutabaga
    1 small diced onion
    diced carrots--Yoopers disagree about the carrots but you decide
    salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS:
    Mix all your filling together add your salt and pepper to taste.Mix the shortening,salt and flour together until it looks about pea size with a pastry blender if you have one, or just cut with 2 knives crisscrossed. Add the cold water and mix just until it all sticks together ---don't overwork it or your crust will be tough. Refrigerate it while you do your filling. This is enough to make a 13x9 pan pasty pie -or 5-6 pasties. If you want more make a separate batch--don't double it. Take about a tennis ball sized piece of your dough and roll it out on a counter dusted with flour. Turn it and roll some more. I use an 8" salad plate and lay my crust on it and then place the filling on half, top filling with a pat of butter. Use a little water on your fingers on the bottom half of the edge of the crust then flip the top half over and press it down, the water will make the top half stick to the bottom. Cut off any excess crust hanging over your plate. and flute the edge. Make a small vent hole in your tops. Brush the tops of your pasties with some milk --it will make your crust brown better.

Bake these for 1hr 15 min on 375----I will test one to see if the rutabagas are done because they take the longest to cook and the smaller you cut them the quicker they will cook..so good luck

Thanks for posting, Marty! I'll have to give this one a try ... if only because I've got a couple of Yooper friends (don't tell my real friends ) here in Colorado that are always talking up pasties.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here