Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talkin’ gobblers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talkin’ gobblers

Pretty sure everyone has come across this sandwich, haven’t they?

If you haven’t, a gobbler is a sandwich made from Thanksgiving leftovers. Typically it’s turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce, on toast. They are really common in diners and pubs and delis here in NEPA this time of year. And since we’re not special, I imagine they’re pretty beloved elsewhere as well.

So, I’m thinking about some that we’ve had, and I’m thinking about variations. The best gobbler both Mrs and I have had is from The Tipsy Turtle. They call it a Thanksgiving Melt, but it’s a gobbler. It’s grilled, with melted cheese. That sucker is HUGE, you can’t tell from the picture. I usually eat the fries and half the sandwich, because fries don’t travel. This is a genuinely excellent sandwich.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0EEB97FA-C772-4224-AC85-CB476EF2D7B1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	304.2 KB ID:	1333114

The second best is from Pierce St Deli, and it is made as a panini. It’s smaller than the Thanksgiving Melt, but still a pretty good sandwich… not as good, but still pretty good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9098B5F5-2C2D-486A-A30E-F2CE66C3400A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	267.1 KB ID:	1333115

Common elements to these are that they have the same ingredients, have cheese, and, I think most importantly, both are grilled/griddled/panini’d.

And finally, to the point. This is a sandwich that is obviously ridiculously easy to make. I think because it’s going to be kind of thick, the turkey and stuffing should be hot at assembly, then applied and grilled/griddled. And it probably would take variations well, up to whatever the amount of ingredients two slices of toast (or panini) can comfortably hold!

My very first thought is to use jellied cranberry sauce instead of cranberry mayo. Then serve the sandwich griddled, with a small ramekin of gravy for dipping. I could be persuaded to keep the mayo, though.

My second thought is, after griddling it and at time of serving, open it up and put that coleslaw on that sucker.

Mashed potatoes? Nah. Maybe on the side. Sweet potato casserole? Maybe instead of stuffing. But, if you’re having ham, or ham and turkey, that would be intriguing at the least, I think.

What would you do with this idea, assuming you are in on it?
    Last edited by Mosca; November 24, 2022, 01:04 PM.

My MIL, God rest her soul, made the most amazing leftover sammich! She would make them for everyone as a drive home snack ( was a 6 hour drive) and they were AMAZING!

Homemade bread, mayo, dark meat turkey, dressing and cranberry sauce and two scoops of Love.

She used to tease that it was the drive home sammich that got us all to make the trip. She always made my FIL buy two turkeys and double the fixens so she could make the 20 or so sammiches. She would get up before dawn and start in and would let no one help.

there is no doubt in my mind it was the extra love that made them so great!

Sorry I got all excited….

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here Never been much of a melt guy but a turkey sammich on white with butter a ton of mayo and black pepper is the bomb.

That stuff looks so good!

Comment

Serve that baby open face and covered in gravy. Oh my.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        A hot white? Add bacon and tomato?

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Bacon would always work! Turkey club, after all!

I turn the dressing into waffles to use as the buns, mix bourbon and molasses into some reduced cranberry sauce as a drizzle. Then turkey, Swiss, and a fried egg.

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        We aren’t doing anything traditional for Thanksgiving but I am making a large batch of dressing this weekend because it is the one dish I would miss. And, I’ve dusted off the waffle maker just so I can enjoy dressing waffles for the rest of the week.

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        Stop this insanity!
        At least until I can replace my waffle iron!

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Washblue stop lying, you know you got at least an old pie iron laying around.

I think you're spot on, that's how I make mine. I like the cranberry sauce spread on both pieces of bread, cheese if you want, turkey, stuffing. Dunk it in gravy before each bite like you would grilled cheese and tomato soup. I've wanted to try using the stuffing as bread too

Comment

I had a little problem with sandwich integrity, a different bread would have worked better. But no problem with the taste.

Turkey, bacon, stuffing, coleslaw, cranberry sauce, and sharp cheddar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7155615A-504A-4BAC-BAD0-BFD7E98C434C.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	1333769

Comment

• Washblue
          Washblue commented
          Editing a comment
          TG Sandwich with Au Jus! Integrity be darned! I’m well trained in utensil usage as a sandwich contingency plan…. This is very tantalizing!

My contribution
        Attached Files

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! Gobble, gobble!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here