Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheesesteaks: perfect sandwich, or… BACON?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheesesteaks: perfect sandwich, or… BACON?

I’m putting together some cheesesteaks tomorrow. I’m cool wit wiz, American, Velveeta, provolone, whatever cheese you want. I’m cool wit no veg, or any combination of peppers, onions, peppers, or hot peppers. I know people who put some kind of red sauce on cheesesteaks. I guess that’s okay, but I don’t get it.

Bacon. I can imagine what bacon would do to a cheesesteak. I think it would be good. But I have a hard time thinking that it would be better. And if it’s not better, then it’s a waste of good bacon.

So here it is, the most scientific tool available to humanity, the timed Internet forum poll! SHOULD PEOPLE PUT BACON ON CHEESESTEAKS?
    A cheesesteak is a perfect sandwich. It does not benefit from adding bacon.
    84.85%
    Cheesesteaks are great, but bacon makes everything better.
    15.15%

The poll is expired.

We should make a distinction between a Cheesesteak and a cheesesteak.

(Oh wow...when I voted we are 50/50!)

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      In the case of the poll, one of them starts a sentence?

😀
      Last edited by Mosca; November 4, 2022, 08:43 PM.

Reason I would not add bacon to a cheesesteak is, at least for me, bacon when cooked properly is a bit crunchy. Which I don’t think would go well with a cheesesteak.
    Yes it might add an interesting flavor profile but I’ll save my bacon for other things like burgers, omelets or just munching on. Ect……

Comment

One of the few places for me where bacon is just not a fit.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I see it as something that I would try, and then think, “Well that was different.” Which would make it a waste of bacon.

Dice the bacon and cook it separate add at the end so its crispy and adds texture. Can cook any veggies in the grease.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I was thinking that it would get added at the end, and cause each bite of sandwich to have a little crackle.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        This was my thought - diced bacon will add a flavor, but will use less total bacon. More flavor, less of the cost - win/win.

Maple Bacon Donut-YES
      Bacon cheesesteak-NO

Comment

Bacon cut up in pieces works great in a cheesesteak. Pepperoni fried, pizza sauce and pizza cheese or provolone... pizza steak is a good combo too.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          You just reminded me of one sandwich we kind of invented at the Tap Room in NJ.

Steak pizzaiola. Yummmmmm. Steak n cheese sub but with tomato sauce and pizza cheese. I'm talkin 1982 ish. Get outta here good! Thanks to Nick who listened to us and made these.

Originally posted by Michael Brinton View Post
        Bacon cut up in pieces works great in a cheesesteak. Pepperoni fried, pizza sauce and pizza cheese or provolone... pizza steak is a good combo too.
        I’ve done the pizza sauce, it’s a fun twist. Today my sandwich will have red and green peppers, mushrooms, onions, and provolone. Hers will have red and green peppers, mushrooms, and American.

Also, we are doing them as wraps. Pardon the sacrilege, but good cheesesteak rolls are hard to find locally. The ones we get are too soft and crumbly. A good cheesesteak roll needs to have a crisp crust and be a bit chewy. At least a wrap has the chew, and it preserves sandwich integrity.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I know where you’re coming from, but I can’t find a proper cheesesteak roll. They are all the consistency of cheap hamburger buns.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Mosca - so you're making a Philly burrito. I can see that.... HEATHEN. *cough*

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          No. Burritos use wheat tortillas, which are unleavened. Wraps use leavened bread.

I think that a cheesesteak should be without bacon

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree. However, while I wouldn’t ask for bacon on my cheesesteak, if I were presented a bacon cheesesteak I would not pass on it.

I made cheesesteaks a few days ago and the thought of adding bacon crossed my mind, I think I'll give it a go next time just to see. A couple of things we really like is poblanos for the green pepper and shredded aged provolone, the real stinky kind.

Comment

Enjoying some of my home made bacon for breakie right now.
          Love steak & love my bacon but for me, not in the same mouthful please

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here