Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oops. Bought Lamb Spare Ribs. Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops. Bought Lamb Spare Ribs. Suggestions?

So - I made the mistake of purchasing lamb spare ribs for a Father's Day BBQ before consulting Amazingribs.com and finding out that they're on the "not-recommended" list. My butcher had them out for the first time and I wanted to try something different. Any suggestions on how to make them amazing? Thanks!

I realize this response will come way too late to help you, but let me say that lamb spare ribs are fantastic. I'd hate to see this post go unanswered and discourage anyone tempted to give them a try. I did my first a couple weeks ago with great results. Here were the steps:

1. Started with two racks of spare ribs. Trimmed off the thin skin. (You can do this by getting your finger underneath the skin and moving it around to loosen it from the meat, then trying to pull the whole skin off in one try).
    2. Applied a dry rub of salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, a bit of chipotle.
    3. Put em on the smoker at 225-250 for about 2 hours, using a couple apple wood chunks.
    4. At the 2 hour mark, I wrapped them tightly in foil with a mix of 2/3 beer (hoegarden in this case) and 1/3 balsamic vinegar (a peach white balsamic). This kept the ribs moist and because the beer and balsamic were on the sweet side added a nice note. Continued to cook on the smoker in the foil wrap for 2 hours.
    5. Took the ribs out of the foil and let them sit on the smoker for about 15 minutes to get the rub crusted up.

Served with a dip made of Greek yogurt, mint, toasted cumin, lemon juice, salt and pepper (all blended in the food processor). The meat was moist, hit that perfect spot between falling off the bone and a bit of chew, nice smoke ring and flavor, salt, hot smoked pepper notes from the chipotle and sweetness from the beer/balsamic braise complimented the mild game of the lamb. Delicious.

Comment

Thanks for answering R2-Meat2 , you're right, it will help any who read this in the future.

Comment

Lamb ribs are great. I've cooked them on my kettle before. First time I had them was at the Rendezvous in Memphis.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here