Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lamb neck - how to cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lamb neck - how to cook?

I'm having family over next weekend and I'm thinking to try a lamb neck or lamb belly (or maybe both) but not 100% sure how to cook it. Low and slow indirect or hot & direct. I'm assuming it's similar to a pork neck & belly and low and slow will do it. Any lamb Lamb I've done before had been shoulder or leg kebabs over heat. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome
    Last edited by Neris; January 16, 2020, 10:31 AM.

You have to do it low and slow or it will be tough as all hell. Personally i would recommend a red wine braise but you could smoke it too.

best

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Bingo, try pre-smoking then braising...winner winner lamb neck dinner !!!

Thanks. Was thinking to smoke if it's low and slow but I might try it with an injection aswell rather then a braise.

Comment

Brine, smoke to flavor, and then braise is how I would do it. Layers of flavor.

Comment

Low n slow is the way to go, no doubt. Do you have any photos to share?

Comment

Little Miss BBQ here in Phoenix has them once in a while. They are smoked, covered in course ground pepper, and delicious.

Comment

I have one in the freezer, and I am planning on using a combination of Troutman's Osso Bucco recipe (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ked-osso-bucco) and this: https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/...mb-neck-turnip. Of course, I am just cooking it for myself (my wife flat out refuses to participate in this adventure), so I have a lot of room for error.

Comment

So I ended up doing 2 necks on the Weber with the slow n sear on Friday night with briquettes & cherry wood chunks. Preped both Thursday night with a rub & then an injection of Apple juice, cider vinegar & Worcester sauce. Plan was to get them cooked up to a 160F temp. Had problems trying to control the temp in the Weber so was hitting over 270f at times when I wanted to be down about 225f. Hit a stall about 145f and was under time pressure so ended up putting them in foil up to 154f before taking then off and leaving for 10 minutes before serving. Was disappointed with them for a few reasons. I used 3 chunks of wood and it was very over powering on the taste. The meat was a bit chewy and really could have done with another hour or so to get up the internal temp and meat a bit more tender. Cook time was about 3.5 hours. Lessons learned for next time

Comment

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                Was reading this again. 160 strikes me as way too low to get something like this tender. Neck is one of the toughest, yet tasteful, you can get. But it really has to be low and slowed all the way. Kebobs (based on your other post) do not strike me as a low and slow thing. Definitely do it again and try something different

Ive got some lamb neck posts going in the show me thread. Lets see how those go. Personally its just something i would not smoke all the way.

that said, there is no damn better way to learn how to cook than to cook something and not love it then put your mind to how to make it better

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                I have one brining in the fridge now, going to cook it tomorrow. Smoke and braise, I think.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here