Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lamb Ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lamb Ham

Really? I guess it's been around. have a look at this. I think I'm going to give it a try.

British colonialists brought lamb ham to America, where a sugar-cured, smoked variety became popular. Easier-to-cure pork ham eventually took its place, but now two Virginians are bringing it back.

Neat. White sheep are so pretty, all we raised were Suffolk.

Comment

What a cool post. I read that whole article on lamb ham. I've been looking for recipes to use for a bbq we're having on July 11. Since I'm butchering one of my yearling rams in a week or so to get ready for the occasion, I'm going to try this. I'll definitely let you know how it turned out. Got any goat ideas? I'm doing one of those, too.

Comment

That looks amazing. I'm going to have to try that.

As for goat, I've only done ribs with the loin attached (I think that's anatomically correct). Marinated overnight in yogurt and garam masala, rinsed, and cooked in my PBC. I'll definitely do that again.

Comment

Anybody try this? I'm getting the itch to try it, but am leery of experimenting on my Easter guests. Thanks.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            How wrong could it go? That article definitely has me interested.

• BBQBluesman
            BBQBluesman commented
            Editing a comment
            Will you come by and help me eat it while my guests are eating dinner at Steak `n Shake?

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Where you located, Boss?

Looks cool. I cook lamb, and ham, and I really like it. A few things seems a bit strange to me when reading the recipe:
          1. The amount of sugar in the brine. That is a lot. I would cut it in half immediately.
          2. Brining it for 6 (!) days. You don't need to brine it for more than overnight. The salt in the solution will do its work anyway.
          3. If you're gonna smoke it, why dry it in a cooler for 2 days? That works great for steaks et.c., but for maximum smoke penetration I would keep the surface 'fresh'.
          4. Assuming it's a bone-in ham, why roast tie it? That is only needed when de-boned. For looks I guess, I can understand that.

Other than those few remarks (), I like it. Go ahead and try it, it's an easy cook, so not much that can go wrong. Plus, it looks fabulous when you serve up a whole leg of lamb!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            At least for the second question, they're wanting to cure it rather than just brine it.

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah, thanks EdF, that makes sense.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here