Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber kettle or a no water Weber smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber kettle or a no water Weber smoker

I have a Weber 22" kettle and a Weber 18" Smoker. Any thoughts on cooking a boneless leg o' lamb on the smoker without using water. What are the advantages and disadvantages. I see the smoker allowing a slower cook than the kettle is much more direct heat. Thanks

Haven't cooked lamb in my 18.5" WSM's, yet, but were I to be tryin it, first time, I'd have some water in th pan, to provide me a thermal buffer, help prevent me from dryin it out....

Yer mileage may vary, greatly!

Good luck, howsoever ya decide to do yers, am lookin forward to learnin from ya, here!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      By th way, Welcome to Th Pit, Amigo!

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

I would cook on the one you can hold your temp on with a hotter fire and more airspace. This will give you a nice low n slow with a great roasty Smokey bark.

Not sure what equipment you are using with the cooker.

Comment

Indirect on the kettle as long as you have meat temp monitoring. Baaaa!

Create mouth watering leg of lamb on the smoker or grill with these various techniques. Leg of lamb is a complex bundle of muscles, with layers of fat and connective tissue throughout. Here are four methods for dealing with the wonderful log of meat and how to create deliciously smoky grilled leg of lamb.

Comment

I have the 14.5 WSM and cooking on the top grate with the bowl removed has been a revelation. Lamb is great medium rare.

I recommend running your WSM like a PBC for lamb. Put down a good layer of unlit coals in the ring. Light 40 or so briquettes and dump them on top of the unlit coals and let it go for 10 minutes with the lid off. Throw in a chunk of wood and put the lid on, but keep the vents wide open and let it go for 20 minutes.

Put the lamb in. I recommend putting it in at least partially frozen. It will pick up so much color that a reverse sear might not even be necessary.

Comment

JeffJ,
            Your idea hits what I was thinking of as a cooking process. I think i will follow your idea in concept. The family wants lamb gravy and I am playing with the idea of a bit of the lamb in an indoor oven to create drippings for gravy, with the rest outside on the WSM. Gather drippings from inside and make gravy inside. Gravy is the easy part. I have not had much luck with transitioning outside drippings into gravy in the past.
            Last edited by DDPGburg; April 20, 2019, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like ya have a plan, an that's a great start!

I'm curious how so yer gravy with outside drippins didn't succeed...???

Were folks not likin th outdoor / charcoal / smokey flavour, in th gravy?

I've heared of such, here, before...

tends that they want a non smokey gravy. I'll toss a small piece of foil and catch some outside drippings and mix with the inside. at worst the gravy will work on my cornflakes monday morning.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, I unnerstand.
              Might buy yerself a can, mebbe two of biscuits, to use yer smoker gravy on, make indoors gravy fer th other folks...
              Win-win, way I'm lookin at it.

I used drippings from the kettle 1 time to make gravy. It was smokey and I didn't like it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here