Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide que leg of lamb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide que leg of lamb?

Hello meatfriends- I usually do a leg of lamb on the smoker for Easter and this year am thinking about trying it SVQ method. X hours in the bath at about 135 on Saturday, chilled, then on the smoker for Y hours on Sunday until it gets back up to 135-140.

Has anyone tried this before? Good results? Any recommendations on times, temp, technique?

Thanks all.
    R2

I plan the same sous vide cook on a boneless leg of lamb on Saturday, but I'm going to do a direct sear to finish it off. Good luck!

Comment

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Some tips...
      Score the meat, which will release the connective tissue tension on the surface, which will make it easier to slice and chew.

Time is tenderness. You can go anywhere from 5 hours to 30 hours. 131 is the temp.

The fresher the less gamey. If you freeze and reheat, it will be more gamey. Some folks like that, I guess.

If you buy a whole leg with rump, you can use Grant Crilly's method of Sous B Cue for the rump portion, which is 8 hours at 158f, then 30 minutes at 400, with an herb rub and a balsamic reduction to sauce.

Have not done, as we don't do Easter, it's just the two of us, and wife is a tough sell on lamb.

Comment

Thanks guys. Lamb is dry brining right now. Will SV tomorrow and then chill overnight. Anyone have a view as to how long I should plan for them to be on the smoker Sunday? Is it essentially the same as if I started with a cold raw leg at 225 (3-4 hours ) or will it go much quicker?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here