Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butterflied leg of lamb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butterflied leg of lamb

Looking at cooking one this weekend (reverse sear) and was wondering how long should I plan for the cook time. I know it's not an exact science, but it would be helpful to have a rough idea.

What kind of grill do you have?

Comment

I have a 4 burner Napoleon (which is what I will probably use), but I also have a Weber kettle.

Comment

I'd do the leg indirect on the kettle, with the setup below. Size of leg has a bit to do with this (a lot?). This indirect with a shield (oven drip pan) and 13" x 9" water pan with an 1" H2O will indicate 400F on the dome and be ~ 235F on the grate. I'm thinking 4-5 hours. I do lamb a lot - love it. After I load the coals I flip the grate closed and add mesquite chunks on the top grate above the coals. That will smoke for the first two hours.

I run the lower vents at 1/4 or less, and the top vent at 1/2 for lamb. Why gas a leg of lamb? If there is wood left after you reach IT, open the grate and drop it in with the coals using tongs. Close the grate then reverse sear.

Oh geez now I'm hungry... prep with an olive oil and mint rub... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmh.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180725_190927_resized.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	566150

Comment

JGo37, that setup is Bad Azz. I’ve been looking to get into lamb as I had it at a high end restaurant and loved it... are you buying the Australia lamb they sell in the regular supermarkets? Something about eating frozen food from the opposite side of the world leaves me dubious.
          thanks

Comment

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I been getting lamb from down under for years. I started when you had to order it because the market for it wasn't developed yet. Early 90's?

Now, North American lamb is showing up more and more, but still not fresh (some is CAN). I think you'd have to be close to a local supply to get fresh from a butcher.

Don't Wait! I defrost the legs in cold water in the sink.

• Jeffrey R
            Jeffrey R commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey McEDaddy, Lamb is one of my favorite go to's on the Weber, with the Slo and Sear reverse method. Use a quality probe thermometer for best results. Proper temperatures are critical with lamb. As far as lamb from down under, I've never had any problems in the past. Here in Pa. I'm fortunate to get it fresh from Jamison Farm. There located in Latrobe Pa. They have a website you can check out .

Thank you, sir. It’s on the to do list

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here