Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying new marinade for lamb and cooking in the IP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying new marinade for lamb and cooking in the IP

I got a boneless leg of lamb and I was going to smoke it for Memorial Day but my mom fell, broke her arm, and is in the hospital. So I’m going to do it in the Instant Pot to save time.

I follow Chef John on Twitter and Youtube and I’m modifying a marinade for lamb he modified from Richard Blaise (it is this riffing that is one of the things that makes cooking great).

I whisked a bottle of nice root beer (something not overly sweet, I used St. Arnold’s), 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup roasted sesame seeds, 1/8 cup siracha, 2 tbs smoke paprika, and then eyeballed onion powder, garlic powder, ginger, and cumin.

I’ll post pics when done and let you know how it was. I’ve never considered this kind of sweetness on lamb but Chef John said the lamb takes it well.

Lamb and sweetness are a good pairing, mint jelly is a classic side. Looking forward to seeing the results. We love lamb and cook it regularly.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s funny you say that. As soon as I posted this I thought, of course it’s gojng to go well with a sweet marinade, everyone likes it with mint jelly. Truth be told I ate lamb with mint jelly once as a child and hated it. My dad always cooked lamb savory and I have always done the same. I’ll be cooking in about an hour so I’ll follow up with pics.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6F4595C2-9D22-4AF0-A706-2DE218866CEF.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.62 MB ID:	507362Click image for larger version  Name:	50716232-CA6A-4918-810C-BDB8D767A46B.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	507363Click image for larger version  Name:	8D741E54-69B4-4512-AC2F-4DE6AF4EEB66.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.61 MB ID:	507361

So the lamb came out great. Would have loved to have the crust of the smoker but alas. The family loved it. I think it could have had a bit more heat. All that said I think I prefer a more savory lamb than a sweet one.

Comment

Looks great in the pictures. I love lamb, but think I would agree with you on savoury over sweet.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here