Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easter lamb, smoked and honey glazed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easter lamb, smoked and honey glazed

So, Easter means lamb, at least in Sweden. I'm gonna smoke these two legs of lamb on my offset smoker today (100% oak wood). They weigh in at 1.5 kilos each (3 lbs each). I trimmed and rubbed them this morning, the concoction is made of:

Per leg
    1 tbsp rosemary
    0.5 tbsp thyme
    0.5 tbsp ground cumin
    0.5 msk coarsely ground black pepper
    2 tbsp neutral oil

Mix the rub with oil. Dry brine the legs 2 hours before. Brush on the rub, make sure every nook and cranny gets covered. Store in the fridge for a few hours.

I'm gonna brush it with honey as I smoke it.

To be continued, will fire up my offset in 3 hours time...

Trimmed lamb, boneless

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1289.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	474594

The rub applied

Name:	IMG_1290.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	474595

I like doing lamb for Easter, too, but the price in the US is high compared to other meats. This year the sale price is eight times the sale price of ham. So, this year it is ham.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Makes perfect sense.

Brisket and ham here. Mary still has her lamb.

Comment

Love lamb, but not all the family agrees with me. Looking forward to the progress updates.

Comment

Name:	F3A5B6CA-56DA-4D31-A573-9153FA6ECA62.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	474650 Alright, got the fire started, my FireBoard is monitoring temps for me. The lamb is in the smoker.

Name:	D583530B-D015-44C1-85DB-B832EF74D0C2.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	474651

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful ... so far !!!! LOVE lamb, I should cook it more often .....

I would love to know how that works out. Most recipes for lamb call for grilling.

Comment

Here’s the second glazing with honey, smells good, and looks good! The taters are on their way in the oven, and I’ve made a red wine reduction (sauce). Temp is at 48 deg C, will take them to 62-65 deg C.

Name:	544293B9-8C84-4CAA-849C-628C3C6F5064.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	474703

Comment

Nice!!! Nothin’ like a stickburner!

Comment

That is looking good. I love lamb and we have some of the best lamb in the country from the Karoo farming area just up the road (200Km). Unbelievably I have yet to smoke anything lamb. The price of late has become ridiculously expensive compared with other meat. Pork R45/Kg Beef R65/Kg Lamb R145/Kg.

Comment

So no trussing? How long did it end up taking?

Comment

I put the lamb on at 4pm, and it was done at 7pm. But I ran at low temps to time the guests. Typically at 200° F. I took the lamb when internal temp was 62° C (144° F). Wrapped it in alu foil, then into the faux cambro. All guests were very happy, and so was I. I think I can honestly say: I NAILED IT! Great meat. I love my stick burner.

Here's the lamb, rested and sliced. Super succulent, with great flavor. And a nice smoke ring.

Name:	IMG_1309.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	474779

This was the kitchen table, where everyone helped themselves. I apologize for the towel, underneath it is oven baked potatoes, carrots and parsnips.

Name:	IMG_1312.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	474780

All in all, great success. Happy Easter!!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Much leaner than I'm used to, but looks awesome! But... no garlic?

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nah, skipped the garlic this time. But it goes very well with lamb.

Thanks for this recipe Henrik. Looking forward to trying it on a future smoke.

Comment

Nice! Going to try that for sure.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here