Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boneless leg of lamb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boneless leg of lamb question

I've done a couple of these, leaving them in the "net" wrap they come in. The downside of this is that when you peal the net off after cooking you loose a lot of the bark/sear! What do most folks do? Leave the net wrap on and deal with it, take the net wrap off and re-tie into a loaf? Take the net off and cook it spread out? I'm going to be cooking this in a PBC at home and will put it into a cambro for transport (about a 2 to 2.5 hours rest). Thoughts?

I always remove the net. Don't want that squiggly rubber net on my food. Instead, I trim the meat, add whatever flavors I want, then roll it up again and re-tie it a few times with butcher's yarn. Works every time, plus it looks good, and you get to keep the bark

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep the way i do it too..

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      +2 , get out the twine

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too, just try to keep the meat spread out as you roll. I rolled it to tight and the inner most meat didn't cook fully.

Or just cook it laid out flat. Quicker cook & more bark! Works awesome also! Not sure leg of lamb done either way is something I would want to have to rest/hold for 2 hours though? It's best served medium rare and that's not very compatible with a long hold...

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      If he has a SV circulator he could cook it at home to say 129* then transport and re-heat say in a hot oven. Just a thought, he obviously has transportation to factor into the equation.

Thanks for the input folks. I was leaning towards taking the net off, marinating, then rolling and re-tying. This seals that deal.

I don't have an SV, and the hold has concerned me a bit as well. I don't expect it will continue to increase in temp during the hold so I'm not too worried about that. My thought was to smoke to IT of around 125 -130 then wrap and transport. Once at in-laws stuff it under the broiler to brown and crisp it up a bit and make sure IT comes up to what I want it (med rare).

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck! Enjoy!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like a plan there PappyBBQ , enjoy your Easter feast !!!

Remove net, look to see if gland has been removed, remove if not, trim fat, season inside and out, and then re-tie

Comment

Don’t fret about a lymph node ("gland"). Won’t alter flavor at all. If you slice through a "thumb" size grayish structure while serving just trim around it. No big deal! Happy Easter!!!

Comment

Figured I round this thread out with the results. Sorry I don't have pictures.

So, I took the lamb out of that horrid rubberized netting, unrolled it and marinated it in a nice little marinade I've been using for years that I got off of Epicurious.com. Consists of equal parts Olive Oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard and crushed garlic. Put lamb and marinade into a plastic ziploc and left if fridge over night.

Sunday midmorning got the PBC started and re-rolled the lamb with butchers twine. Got my maverick probe into the meat and tossed the whole thing on the grate. Smoked at 260 for about 2 and a half hours until IT reached 135. Double checked with Thermopen. Removed from PBC and wrapped tightly in two layers of heavy duty foil and dropped into a small cooler (I mean small - just large enough to hold the lamb!) that I had preheated with hot water. Stuffed towels in on top and clamped on the lid.

Threw everything into the car and headed to the airport to pick up my brother-in-law and his wife who were coming in from Germany, and then drove the whole lot down to in-laws. Total time passed - about 2.5 hours.
        When we got down to the in-laws it was about 30 minutes or so before I took the lamb out and placed in under the broiler to add some sear. So that made for around a 3 hour total hold. When I took the lamb out and probed it it was still 132 IT. Had lots of juice in the wrap which I saved and poured back over the sliced lamb. It was delicious, but I did learn a few things.

Number 1, the lamb was a bit overdone for my taste. I like medium rare and this was definitely more on the medium to medium well side of the chart. Still some residual pink in the meat and it was still tender and juicy. Just sayin. If I ever transport lamb again I'll take it off in the 128 IT range.
        Number 2, I'll sear it off before transport as well. It held it's IT so well I could have just carved and served.
        Anyway, it's all stored away in my cooking log as my brain is a sieve!!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Ya done well. Thanks for the report!!!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here