Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern Australian BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern Australian BBQ

Australia is starting to find it's own BBQ voice. Although our knowledge is deeply rooted in trips to the US & books about BBQ in Texas & Kansas ect we are starting to put our own twist on things. For the same reason Mexican food is popular in the US, Asian dishes & lamb are popular here. Today I did a pulled lamb shoulder & it was awesome....All the BBQ comp guy's & BBQ restaurants are doing pulled lamb & it's quickly becoming a key part of BBQ down here. It will be very interesting to see how Australia responds to this wave of popular modern BBQ as you can see it happening all over Melbourne & Sydney these days....

PULLED LAMB SHOULDER (bone in)….
    Dry Rub: S.P.G (Salt, pepper & garlic).
    Smoker: 'ProQ 20 Elite' bullet smoker.
    Cook time: 8 hours (when internal temp hits 165f wrap in foil w/ rosemary, butter, garlic & splash of apple juice or beer).
    Smoker temp: Between 250f & 275f.
    Finished internal meat temp: 210f.
    Rest: 2 hours (at least 1).
    Fuel: Clean charcoal.
    Wood type: Apple wood chunks.
    Attached Files

Pulled lamb specs from down under....
    Attached Files

Comment

Pulled lamb sounds very interesting. I may need to give it a try!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        You won't be sorry!!! Above recipe or Meat Head's Kentucky Smoked Lamb or Mutton with Sunlite Black Sauce. Awesome!!!

Thank you for sharing! One thing I'd do different is dry brine that lamb longer than an hour, preferably overnight or even 24hrs. 1/2 tsp of Kosher salt per pound of meat, or in this case the "favourite savory rub" if it includes salt. This not only seasons it ahead of time but it helps the meat retain more moisture during the cook because the salt molecules will travel inward the more time you give it.

Comment

Sounds great. Yep in what ever country you are, you need to adapt to what kind of food is locally available.
        I may just have to find me a Patagonian lamb to test this recipe out.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          It appears, according to your avatar, that you and Jerod Broussard are fraternal twins separated at birth. Not identical, but close.

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, looks like we can both lay down a heavy smoke ring when needed.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here