Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boneless Leg on a Stick Burner - How to Sear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boneless Leg on a Stick Burner - How to Sear?

Hey y'all! So I've had my smoker for about 3 months. I've done lots of ribs, burgers, one pulled pork (came out dry, gonna retry that one), salmon, and 4 briskets so far (my fav). Now I'm trying boneless leg of lamb, with Prime Rib on deck

I could use a little guidance on the searing step though, which I guess would apply to both the lamb and the prime...

Do y'all think I should try to do it on my gas grill (with grillgrates) or in the oven under the broiler? Any other pro-tips that aren't in the Tested Recipe would be welcome as well.

Thanks!

I would do them on the gas grill (if I didn't have a Weber kettle) on the flat side of the grillgrates.

Comment

Cool thanks DW. I will give that a try!

Comment

Exactly what kind of smoker do you have? I just got done doing a prime rib over Christmas on my pellet pooper. I cooked it at 350* until I got to medium rare (about 130* IT) then cranked up the heat to close to 500* for the last 15 minutes or so. Bark from the 15 minute sear was perfect. I guess I'm not sure why you are not getting bark while cooking your meats?

Comment

Hey Troutman. I have a Lang Patio. I do get a bark on the other things I've smoked, but this is my first leg of lamb so I was going to go by what it says in the Tested Recipes section. Do I not need that step?

Comment

Wait, I just reread.. You just turned up the heat to get the sear? So if I just jammed a bunch of wood in there and got the temp up around 500 or so for a few minutes, that would have the same or similar effect?

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I can't speak directly to your Lang, but my stick consumers will go up pretty substantially with a few kindling-sized sticks (2" x 6" or so). DWCowles ?

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              I am very confused. I thought we were talking about a gas grill. I need another drink. Cheers!🥃

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here