Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Lamb Shoulder for Father's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Lamb Shoulder for Father's Day

I am planning on smoking a lamb shoulder for Fathers day following Meathead's recipe with the Kentucky Black BBQ Sauce. I am wondering if anyone has done this before and has any tips or things I should know as I've never done this cut before.

Specifically I was wondering if it is a good idea to inject the shoulder with anything prior to cooking it, like you might do with a brisket.

I have done it a number of times just like Meathead describes and love it for a lamb shoulder! I love the taste of lamb, but this recipe really mutes that taste some and is especially good to serve to those who think lamb is "gamey". (Good lamb is not at all gamey but that's a different argument, for a different day.) Anyway, this recipe is supposedly what the Kentucky folk use to cook mutton which is an older sheep and a little stronger flavored. Probably why this recipe is so popular for mutton. With a good lamb shoulder, most won't even know it's lamb unless you tell them. Cook it low and slow until it's "pullable" and you are GOLDEN! If you have domestic North American grain finished lamb, no need to inject. It's plenty fatty enough that it won't be too dry. I have little experience with the imported grass fed stuff from Australia/New Zealand. Good luck and ENJOY!!!

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      The New Zealand stuff is good too. Just make it!

In my experience much depends on the age of the lamb (and consequently on the size of the shoulder). I should add that I only have direct experience with young grass-fed New Zealand lamb that's really lean and tender, so my suggestions might not work for US lamb.

For young animals (let's say if your shoulder is under 4-5 lb) you don't really need to cook it until pullable, and you definitely don't need to inject. If you aim for 60C/140F internal at the thickest part it'll be perfectly tender and still plenty juicy. Also, you'll have a good range of doneness, from medium and still pink at the thickest part to medium-well (or even well-done) near the elbow, which usually comes in handy with people who don't like lamb.

I like to treat my lamb like a prime rib roast: smoke low and slow until 55C/130F then move to direct heat you'll have juicy meat and a nice crust.

Comment

I've done them a couple of times. I cook them like a Boston Butt, but not as long. In general I'm not a fan of lamb but I really enjoyed the shoulder.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Best cut, IMO!

I tried to do lamb burgers the way one gets in restaurants with that sharp, juicy taste of lamb. After grinding some lamb shoulder I added 2 tablespoons each of chopped Mint and Rosemary, a teaspoon of salt and black pepper. The burgers turned out bland, almost tasteless. Any thoughts what I can do to get that restaurant lamb burger taste? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Can't help much because I've never seen a lamb burger offered in a restaurant ever, anywhere, so not certain what you're striving for... "Bland" sounds like not enough fat, assuming you didn't forget to salt it. What type of lamb shoulder did you use? US or NZ/Australian? Was it fatty or lean? I have so much really great home ground venison burger that I always struggle with what to do with the ground lamb I get when I have one processed each year. Personally not a big fan of mint so don't even use it in a "julep". Other than S&P, garlic and rosemary do well with lamb. I also often add satay seasoning and do a curry burger with lamb but that doesn't help your search much. More fat &/or more age will likely be your answer. Good luck!

Comment

Likewise, I can't remember a lamb-burger. But from our cooks of legs etc, I'd get some roasted or pre-sauted garlic in there, and something for umami like finely chopped anchovy. Parsley, oregano, salt & pepper.

Provided you keep the 'chovies on the low volume side, it won't make anything taste fishy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here