Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lamb Shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lamb Shoulder

I have a 4lb boneless lamb shoulder sitting in the fridge with a garlic,rosemary,thyme,S&P rub on it waiting for the grill tomorrow. Never cooked this cut on my weber. Any suggestions?

CaptainMike is a good resource. It was his Christmas dinner.

Comment

Can't remember how I last did it, but it's a super roast.

You can do something like this if you have a dutch oven or such to put in your cooker: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...amb-shoul.html

I might try this one next time: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...-shoulder.html

Comment

I cooked one a few years ago low and slow at 225 like a Boston Butt and it came out great. My previous experiences with lamb was disappointing, but the shoulder low and slow has me looking for one on sale.

Comment

The most under appreciated recipe on the site is pulled lamb shoulder with Kentucky black BBQ sauce. It's ridiculously good and very different:
          In Western Kentucky the BBQ is mutton, and the sauce is vinegary, spiked with Worcestershire sauce. Here's a recipe for black BBQ sauce inspired by Moonlite Bar-B-Q Sauce & Dip. This thin tart sauce cuts the rich fat, making it perfect for use as a deeply penetrating baste as the meat cooks or as a finishing sauce.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            Amen!!! It is an awesome recipe, especially for any who are a little "iffy" about lamb.

Originally posted by bbqoaf View Post
          The most under appreciated recipe on the site is pulled lamb shoulder with Kentucky black BBQ sauce. It's ridiculously good and very different:
          http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_s...cue_sauce.html
          dang bbqoaf, got to go look for lamb shoulder!

Comment

Hmmm, I've done several legs of lamb on the grill, but I braise lamb shoulders. They are very different cuts with their own characteristics. Best advice for grilling is MH's LoL rcepipe: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/lamb/leg_of_lamb.html.

Comment

painter Welcome! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks!

Comment

I've done over a couple of hundred lamb shoulders. pulled fall of the bone succulent. All with bone. Some shoulders come with the ribs (lamb chops) attached and in some cases, the front shank also attached. Nothing beats pulling the blade bone out smoothly.

I use Dolly The Lamb Rub. Apply mustard so the mustard seeds and rosemary stick. only wrap if the bark is getting too dark.

Smoke until 195-200 @ 250...

If you like lamb and accustomed to its flavor, this cut is a knock-out!

For more gamey flavor, try Lamb Shanks "Lollipops"

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here