Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greek Tragedy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greek Tragedy?

My Greek Wife and her family were my introduction to Lamb. And I LOVE it! But the Greeks ALWAYS cook lamb well done. And by well done I mean REALLY well done! And for some reason it's not really dry or chewy. It stays pretty succulent. So here is my conundrum. I prefer red meat Medium Rare. And I have been comparing your technique to the Greek recipes in my Wife's Greek cook books. The seasonings are very similar. And I suspect the flavor profile would be too. But my Wife thinks I'm out of my damn mind to even consider this. (Part of that is a Greek thing....) Are you familiar with the traditional methods? And do you have any pearls of wisdom to share?

I know nothing about traditional Greek methods, but I have been married almost 23 years. You said her way tastes good and is succulent. I say just roll with that. Happy wife, happy life.

Comment

• PJBowmaster
      PJBowmaster commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't argue with that advice. I've been married almost 30 years now......LOL

Are you talking about lamb only or lamb and it's relation to beef doneness?

Comment

• PJBowmaster
      PJBowmaster commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL.....I'm looking for a compelling line of reason that might convince my Wife to try Lamb another way. Probably above the pay grade of most of us. But I'm also curious as to why the Greeks can roast Lamb to well done and keep it moist and succulent.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny you should mention that. I BBQ'd lamb last night. I cooked it to medium rare - my son and I loved it. The wife wouldn't eat more than a bite - lamb well done or not at all. The more you cook it the less "lamby" it tastes.

My family had some Greek osmosis in cooking. Two of my dad's best friends were Greek chefs. One was a restaurant owner. We often ate roast lamb leg done med rare. (My favorite meat BTW)
    It seemed to be accepted well in the Greek community. My mother was always checking her cooking technique and finished results with Mama Pappas, of the world famous Pappas Restaurant in Tarpon Springs, Florida. Mamma Pappas considered my mother a great "Greek" cook, and said her lamb was fantastic. So, I don't understand the problem with less than well done lamb.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Share some secrets!

• Gator Lau
      Gator Lau commented
      Editing a comment
      No secrets, although I have learned over the years that I have not been able to duplicate a lot of my mothers tastes, even with her recipes. So l don't miss anything, let me look up her roast leg of lamb recipe and see what it says,

Me neither. Everybody should cook to their liking, but lamb cooked to medium only tastes great, I think. I guess the question we need an answer to is why it would be such a bad thing? I mean, except for the fact that the wife and her family probably cooked it their way forever. It obviously turns out great, so all is good, but again, what is the underlying reason for not trying medium instead?

It could be due to the availability of good quality lamb was scarce some 50 years ago, so to get it to taste good you would have to 'overcook' it. And then that method has stuck. Just a wild guess from me, but those things happen. I have firsthand experience with that :-)

Comment

• PJBowmaster
      PJBowmaster commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a very good theory. My Mother-in-law was running from the Nazi's as a child. And things didn't get much better after the war. She STILL hoards food.....

Does your wife prefer lamb well done because of the flavor, or is it actually the taste that she prefers? Are you getting Australian or New Zealand lamb (both grass fed), or American (grain finished). Really HUGE difference! American lamb will likely be larger cuts from a younger lamb and usually much milder flavor. It may be a good way to introduce someone to medium rare lamb. If it's just the pink color, you may need a blindfold.

Comment

• PJBowmaster
      PJBowmaster commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure most of the Lamb they serve in the U.S. is grain finished. With the exception of the Whole Lamb cooked on a spit at Easter. Those lambs are always locally raised on grass. So I'm thinking it's really more about tradition.

Maybe you can get a deviation based on cooking it in the pit? This is one of the best things I've ever made outside: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php...=detail&id=891

Comment

My wife's family is Lebanese, same difference. Cook it MR, serve it & smile, really big grin smile. They will love it!

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. I'm just going to bring home a Leg of Lamb and employ the methods if American BBQ. Low and slow served Medium Rare. If she hates it no hard feelings.....I'll get pizza. LOL

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Never hurts to order PIZZA!

• Ray
          Ray commented
          Editing a comment
          so, PJBowmaster, how did you do with the medium rare leg of lamb?

• PJBowmaster
          PJBowmaster commented
          Editing a comment
          The Lamb project got put on hold. We will revisit in the Spring....

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here