Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice leg ... of lamb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice leg ... of lamb

Alas I have no pics because it was busy but I cooked a leg of lamb for the first time using the Dolly rub and it was delicious. My daughter couldn't get enough and my wife, who is not a huge lamb fan, loved it. I've been given the Easter menu already.

I do have a question. It was a boneless leg of lamb because that's what they had so it came in a mesh wrap which said the leg could be cooked in. You all can probably see what happened even though I did not foresee it happening. When I cut the wrap off I took a lot of bark and therefore flavor with with.

So should I just use some butcher twine and tie it around or just let it flop all over the place?

Thanks in advance.

I think I'd twine it then use two hooks to hang it. If you haven't seen it, there's a video over on the PBC site that might help: http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/videos/leg-of-lamb/

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      I had kind of dismissed the video since his was bone-in but upon watching it just now I noticed he said if it is boneless to just put two hooks through. But I think you're right and I would tie it up. Thanks for the advice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.65 MB ID:	229336 I twined mine as well. I think I went a little to tight or rolled to much meat into the wrap because the inner most meat was way under cooked compared to the outter hunk.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a CLEAN PBC!!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      That was cook #2.

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. That's helpful to see how you did that.

Any wood, or coals only?

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I use a couple of chunks (smaller ones) of cherry.

• Bruce R
      Bruce R commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hawker. Was wanting to try doing one sometime soon. Thought it would be good to have some smoke, but keep it light. Sounds like that's what you did.

I absolutely HATE ties & twine and I remove it at all costs. Gravity is your friend and if you ask me it's not too difficult if you're cooking on a grate to just flop the meat on the grate and let gravity hold it in a clump. Obviously this doesn't apply to hanging on the hooks...but who says you have to?

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I will not twine next time. It should shorten the cook and hopefully get even internal temps.

Leg of lamb is the bomb. I like to use silicone bands. They are so much easier than twine and the flavor and rubs don't stick to them. Problem solved. (maybe)

Comment

Whenever I get "loose" meat i just use the grate and dont hang it. Only thing i do is turn it every so often.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here