Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leg-o-Lamb Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leg-o-Lamb Roast

Bought a 3.7 lb. boneless roast in cryo-vac last week and cooked it yesterday. I removed the included net bag and re-tied it. Dry brined it for 22 hours uncovered in the fridge. Applied Dolly's Lamb Rub and let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours while I got the Weber/SnS unit online and stabilized at 225*. No wood smoke used.

After 22 hours of dry brine...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	LambRoast_1.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	221386

2 hours after rub application...

Name:	image_27266.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	221387

Pulled at 131*, no sear...

Name:	LambRoast_4.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	221391

I was intending to sear, but there was a good crust at 115* at 1.5 hours, so I just let it cook up to temperature and carved. I fire roasted, on the SnS, some red bell pepper sections and zucchini halves plus roasted some fingerling potatoes in the oven. I prepared a board sauce with EVOO, fresh rosemary, thyme, garlic, red jalapeno, black pepper. Oh yeah, there was wine involved.

Summary:

1. I'm really getting confident in my ability to drive the Weber and SnS at target temps.
    2. The board sauce really didn't too much for us. Will skip this step next time.
    3. This is a really good recipe for an easy to carve roast.
    4. We prefer to cook boneless leg of lamb like a steak, after marinade that contains ginger and garlic. We like the crust developed by direct cooking. I'll post my (stolen!) marinade recipe here if anyone wants it.

Cheers!
    Last edited by OneEyedJack; September 16, 2016, 12:47 PM.

Nice job OEJ.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

Very nice! Next adventure: boneless lamb shoulder (for comparison)!

Comment

• bbqoaf
            bbqoaf commented
            Editing a comment
            Love lamb shoulder, try MH's Kentucky Black Sauce for lamb, out of his world!

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            I love lamb medium rare, but have done a couple of shoulders to "pullable" like a chuckie or pork butt. Served with Kentucky Black Sauce. AWESOME!!!!

That is one beautiful roast!

Comment

Thanks all for the positive comments.

Comment

Looks great Jack. That crust looks tasty as all get out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here