Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lamp Chops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lamp Chops

Wife went to St. Louis to visit her dad (WW2 veteran, 94 years old) and her brother and sister. Since there are things she won't eat (like Lamp Chops), I get to cook out of the ordinary things when she's not here.

Dinner was
    Lamb Loin Chops
    Asparagus
    Red Potatoes

I haven't tried to cook lamb in about 40 years, although I've had it in restaurants.

But, on it went, to the 1988 Weber, along with the SNS. Since the chops were about 1.5" thick, I reverse seared them

When the temperature reached about 130 on the chops, they went over the hot flames to get seared.

I marinated them with Meathead's formula, and they tasted wonderful. One of our neighbors had a bumper crop of Sage, and they keep leaving bags of it on the front porch. I took lots of pictures, but I can't get my computer to read the Compact Flash card. I'll go buy an external reader if I have to, as I'm determined to post the pictures.

Lamb chops were more than delicious, they were to die for!

Asparagus and potatoes were a good complement.

I've been trying to find some Jordan Cabernet, but the folks at Total Wine and More say they haven't been able to get it for about 1.5 years. They suggested I substitute a Cabernet called "The Calling". I generally like Bordeaux blend wines the most, and I think this was a straight Cabernet. The partners in the winery (it's in the Russian River Valley) are Peter Deutsch and Jim Nantz ( Jim used to be a sportscaster on CBS (mostly NFL)).

The Calling was an excellent straight Cabernet, and I'll most definitely buy more).

Cooked them on the 22.5 stone age Weber with the SNS, and I'm really not sure why I want to buy the Kamado Joe. Without the weather issues, the Kettle and the Weber Smokey Mountain cooker produce great tasting food.

OK, now I'll go back to trying to get the CF card to read so I can post the pictures.

Best regards,
    Jim

Hey Jim - I just googled Jordan Cabernet and got a lot of hits. A number of places sell it online.

Comment

I can find it on lots of websites too. But, if you dig deeper, everyone says "out of stock"

Jim

Comment

Oh man, no pics of this feast?? I've never made lamp chops or lamb chops But recently tasted my first lamb w/ a boneless leg, cooked it on the SnS during an ice storm when the power was out. Yum, great stuff and memorable times for the family.

I find it increasingly hard to get a REALLY good cabernet that's not crazy pricey. Every Tom, Dick & Harry sells two-bit cabernets, and often they really aren't worth the time opening. Last one I found was Hailstone's Impact Cabernet, from Napa. Wow, it went great with ribs. Bold & spicy. My all-time favorite I ever tasted was Textbook cab from Napa, a 2009 vintage.

Comment

• LangInGibsonia
          LangInGibsonia commented
          Editing a comment
          Try Peju and Duckhorn.

Originally posted by jgg85234 View Post
        I haven't tried to cook lamb in about 40 years, although I've had it in restaurants.
        So you cooked your first lamb at age 1? Lol I've actually never had lamb. Did you get it at a local place or big-box type store?

Comment

Sounds like a great meal. I like hearing about wine. More things learning hear.

Comment

jgg85234, Like fuzzydaddy I have not Knowingly eaten Lamb! We used to raise them when I was A Kid. We bought a herd of old broken down Ewes just before they Lambed one Spring! When those 76 Ewes got done Lambing we had nearly 200 Lambs and udders enough for 76? If I live to be 130 yrs old, I won't forget the Image in my mind of my Mom Bottle Feeding over 30 Lambs! We sold the Lambs for Slaughter, but It would be for Me like having the Family Dogs for Dinner? I guess everyone has a Quirk or Two now you know one of mine!
            Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan
            Last edited by Danjohnston949; May 15, 2016, 07:28 AM.

Comment

MMMMMmmmm...My favorite meal. Same thing here. Wife doesn't eat lamb or veal, but that won't stop me from cooking them while she is home. Seems like I am always cooking different entrees for picky eaters. Try grinding some chops for a special treat, then make a burger. Meathead has a recipe on here.

Comment

OK, some pictures. Problem is the CF card is going bad, so I only captured a few of the photos. But, here's about 5.

Lamp chops, huh? Must have been the wine

Lamb chops were a regular on the menu when I was growing up. After making them again, I remember why. They were scrumptious (wanted to make sure I could still spell after "lamp chops"). Restaurant fare just doesn't match up. Going to have to try a rack of lamb soon.

I'm a little over 41. 64 to be exact. Not 64 over, like Danjohnston949 , just 64.

Huskee - my absolute favorite red is Marlstone from Clos du Bois in Sonoma. Any time I introduce it to anyone, it becomes their favorite all time wine as well. Usually around $42 per bottle. Hey, we're eating expensive cuts of meat, why always skimp on the wine?

Comment

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nicely done! Now I have to clean the drool off of my monitor... Where did you get the cool side table on the Weber?

• jgg85234
                  jgg85234 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's the original side table that Weber sold in the prehistoric past. It was replaced with the plastic one around 20 years ago. The end came off, and I have to glue that final board back on. Only Weber could make a small table that actually had 5 pieces of wood.

fuzzydaddy - the lamb chops came from Costco, right between the beef and pork cuts.

Jim

Comment

BTW, lamb chops are the "porterhouse" cut of a lamb, they're just smaller.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                    fuzzydaddy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you! I have a Sam's nearby so I'll check them first. Costco is far away.

Those look awesome! Does Costco carry domestic lamb or the miniature grass fed version from "down under" like the local Sam's does. Buy American if you can. Night & day difference!!!

Comment

• Fine Swine
                    Fine Swine commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I always seem to get from New Zealand. Still tasty... What is different?

Just looked at the label in the garbage, and indeed, those were imported from Australia. But, they were excellent. Next time I'll have to get them from a regular grocery chain, or at least see where theirs are from.

Jim

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here