Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rack of lamb reverse seared on the Big Green Egg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rack of lamb reverse seared on the Big Green Egg

Rack of lamb was dry brined for about 2 hours. Then rubbed with mixture of fresh cut rosemary, herbs de provence, and water. Was too lazy to make meatheads cow crust but this might be better with lamb? (not sure) Smoked on mini max (AKA Bandit) with one chunk of pecan wood, then transferred over to large egg (AKA Smokey) for sear 45 seconds a side. Turned out excellent! Reverse sear for the win!

Last edited by ImmersionFD; February 28, 2016, 12:08 PM.

Great job... Your rack looks fantastic!

Comment

KILL ME! Man that looks goooooood!

Comment

I forgot just like meat heads cow crust I added a bit of cayenne pepper and its a great addition.

Comment

ImmersionFD, Your Rack of Lamb looks Extrordinarily Delicious! I have to confess I have never knowingly eaten Lamb! I raised sheep as a Kid and somehow it got stuck in my head to eat a lamb would be akin to eating the family dog? Too Old to Change Now but if I was going to it would be to sample your Rack of Lamb!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Oh WOW!!!! Looks awesome! Love lamb! I tried to grab one of those "lamby-pops" right off the screen.

Comment

Rack of lamb is on my short list of things to cook. Still a newbie with the XL BGE and I have a lot of things I want to try. This weekend is devoted to beef short ribs and planked salmon, one Saturday and one Sunday. We are supposed to get a lot of rain, but my egg is covered, so I can't use that as an excuse! The only change in plans will be dependent on what the butcher has that looks good. I am going shopping tonight. Who knows, it might end up being lamb anyway.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160327_171622447.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	152050 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160327_171932210.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	152051 I decided to do a rack of lamb on the BGE for Easter. This was dry brined Saturday morning, and rubbed Sunday morning with a paste of olive oil, rosemary, thyme, and a touch of garlic. I put the rack on the grill indirect at 250 Sunday afternoon. When it hit 125 internal, I took it off and raised the temperature to 500 direct for a quick sear. It was wonderful! Even though it was a bit too pink for my wife, she said it was the best lamb she had ever had. We served it with baked potatoes (on the Egg) and asparagus. And a good bottle of Cabernet, of course!

The only change I will make next time is to trim the fat cap a bit thinner. I have seen references to leaving it thick and trimming it way down, and we decided to try it this way, as you can always trim it at the table. It was about a quarter inch thick, but I think and eighth would be fine. All in all, though, it was a great Easter dinner, and leftovers last night were fine.

Comment

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great looking rack.👍 A little too rare is better than a little too done.🤔

I like to wrap the bones with tin foil so they look better on the plate.

• HorseDoctor
                  HorseDoctor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'ld say "well done" but other than braised shanks, lamb should NEVER be "well done" LOL! Looks absolutely perfect to me!!!

I have never been a big fan of lamb, but you are tempting me and my BGE.

Comment

Try it, you'll like it!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's expensive enough! Don't be encouraging more people to try it, you'll increase demand. It is awesome but let's not tell anyone. LOL!!!

Originally posted by Yno View Post
                  Try it, you'll like it!
                  I agree. We love lamb. When we lived in Montana, we could never find it, despite being raised throughout the state. We have no problems finding it at the butcher in Oklahoma.

Comment

Iowa has a tremendous amount of lambs on feed but it's hard to find lamb in the grocery stores & when you do, it's almost always from New Zealand. I usually buy directly from a producers and have it butchered locally (or do it myself). It's finished on grain & I can select one that's larger than the miniature grass fed versions shipped in from New Zealand.

Comment

California has lots of lamb production, but here on the left coast, a lot of it is grass fed and not grain finished. We went to a higher end store and asked for grain fed American lamb, and it could have come from Texas. I kind of like the gaminess of grass fed lamb, but I prefer a larger rack, and that is usually grain finished. Someday soon I am going to do a leg of lamb, but that is down the road a bit.

Comment

Did this one again, turned out great!

Reverse seared rack of lamb on the Big Green Egg. Lamb was dry brined for 2 hours. Then coated in wet rub of Herb de Provence, fresh rosemary and garlic. Smoked indirect heat @225 with cherry wood, untill internal temp of around 130F. Then seared on inside on cast iron skillet for about 45 seconds a side with some butter for the finish.

Comment

• EdF
                          EdF commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah. Baby! That's in my BGE forecast!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here