Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leg of Lamb on the grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leg of Lamb on the grill

Wish I had one cooking right now so I could take and post pictures...I'll do that the next time lamb is on sale.

It's one of those things you either love or hate with no in between. I'm a lover and I found my favorite way to make it:
    • Take a 6lb (or so) bone in leg and trim the fatty parts off...not all, fat is flavor!
    • Cut slits in the large muscle groups large enough to fit garlic cloves. I use 6-8 cloves...yummy!
    • Season with Kosher salt and dried oregano, about 2 Tbsp each.
    • Place lamb in a large zip lock bag and add enough olive oil (I use Greek EVOO keeping with the theme) to coat the whole leg and a little extra. Squish around so everything is mixed.
    • Refrigerate overnight and take it out about an hour before you put it on the grill.
    • With the grill set up for the 2 zone indirect method and running around 300 to 325, put the lamb on and walk away for 2 hours.
    • Check the temp of the meat and the grill. Add fuel if needed (I use a full chimney and that does the trick).
    • I cook the lamb to 130F and remove it and wrap in foil.
    • Carve when ready and enjoy!

Love lamb. Dad BBQ'd A LOT of sheep back home.

Comment

Sounds like a great recipe. I Will certainly try it. A very good friend from New Zealand taught me a great lamb BBQ for the time when you cant wait 24 hours. Bone it out (butterfly style), and marinade in a zip lock bag for 1 hour with yogurt, cumin, lemon and garlic. 40 mins on low heat, crispy on the outside, just warmed on the inside.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have done butterflied LOL on the grill a couple of times for Easter. #1 has a recipe somewhere and it always comes out nice. Direct heat but not Warp 10. We like the supposedly gamier tasting New Zealand lamb we get at ShopRite.

DEW

Originally posted by London View Post
      Sounds like a great recipe. I Will certainly try it. A very good friend from New Zealand taught me a great lamb BBQ for the time when you cant wait 24 hours. Bone it out (butterfly style), and marinade in a zip lock bag for 1 hour with yogurt, cumin, lemon and garlic. 40 mins on low heat, crispy on the outside, just warmed on the inside.
      Cumin and lamb??? Wow, THAT sounds like a combo I need to try! Thanks for the recipe!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here