Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Potjiekos" Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Potjiekos" Party

Invited to judge a "potjiekos" competition alongside two others yesterday.
    Dutch oven cooking is taken very seriously in South Africa. While it's true South Africans rate themselves as excellent in this area the standard was not very high this time round and not a single potjie had the "wow" factor.
    The day was a get together by various biking clubs for the cook off. Held in the sticks about 30 miles from Port Elizabeth and when I arrived at 11H00 it was evident that the folks whistles were well wet already.
    The winning team got to decide the charity that would recieved the money raised.

15 pots entered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20220321112132.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	1193644

Name:	IMG20220321121133.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	1193645

Name:	IMG20220321122105.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1193646

Name:	IMG20220321125552.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1193647

Name:	IMG20220321134932.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	1193648

Name:	IMG20220321143805.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	1193649

The winners - Wheeligans

Name:	IMG20220321152241.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	1193650

Learning something new here! I looked up potjie and potjiekos — very interesting history and some strict rules in cooking in the pot for the purists. Thanks for sharing. Do you have a favorite potjie recipe of your own?

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      When I make, and that's not often enough, my go to is ox tail.

Dutch oven, South Africa, I see what you did there....

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, lol

Very cool. You should have thrown a fully cooked brisket packer in a large pot and drug it out there. It would have blown them away

The only other problem is I don't see you there accepting a prize, wth ????? How could you let the Wheeligans beat you out. Is your club called the Hooligans?

Comment

Pretty sure they should tune in to Cowboy Rollins YouTube channel then

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here