Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VID: When Dutch Oven cooks go wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VID: When Dutch Oven cooks go wrong

Interesting Vid... I want to show this because the guy used wood instead of charcoal to fire his Dutch...

Also he had a bad cook and shows it... I realized this sometime ago that some meals are just better cooked as BBQ / Low and Slow... especially whole chickens

The take away is, as Dutch is not a replacement for BBQ... BUT it does have some good uses, especially for side dishes, soups, stews, deserts.

Last edited by smarkley; September 5, 2015, 02:48 PM.

smarkley I seen that video just the other day on YouTube

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      good stuff... what not to do!

I am sure we all cook lots better chicken on our smokers though!

"Probably over-done." Naaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh, 47.3 degree overshoot, like cooking a Choice a brisket to 250.3 internal, don't sweat the details....

Comment

I think the problem was coal mgmt. Dan

Comment

• smarkley
        smarkley commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah... it is really tough to gauge the heat... plus I suppose all woods burn at a different temp. Not sure about that though.

• smarkley
        smarkley commented
        Editing a comment
        one nice thing about Dutch's and wood around here, is our predominant wood we get in the Rockies is pine or fir... well no way you can use that wood in a smoker! But building a fire with it and using on a dutch oven is just fine... maybe that is one reason that Dutch ovens are so popular in the west.

I'd say the main mistake was gaugeing doneness by the color of the skin. If the temp had been monitored more closely the result had been a moist chicken with soft skin and the same lesson learned: more heat next time.

For me the dutch is more for camping, don't see the point of cooking a chicken outdoors without smoke.

Comment

thats why the thermometer goes in when the bird goes on.

Comment

Whatever happened to Smarkley?

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
            Powersmoke_80 commented
            Editing a comment
            Unfortunately Steveo had a stroke, I sure do miss him in the pit and hope his recovery is going well. Not sure if anybody has had communications with him or not.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here