Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickled red onion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pickled red onion

You need;
    2 red onion in slices
    2 DL(0.8 cup) water
    2 dl (0,8 cup) sugar
    2 dl (0,8 cup) apple cider vinegar
    1/2 tsp of whole pepper

This is what you do;
    Boil water, sugar and vinegar in a saucepan.
    Add the sliced red onion and peppercorns when the sugar has dissolved.
    Bring to a boil, remove the saucepan from the heat and cool down.

The onion will be best if it can stand and develop taste for a while. If you want to store the onion long, you can fill it with clean jar and pour on the liquid until it covers. Tighten lid and keep cold.
    Durable for at least two weeks in the refrigerator.

The pickled red onion goes well on burgers, sausages, steaks, taco's, fish etc..

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190830_154821.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.77 MB ID:	737234
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20190830_155643.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.48 MB ID:	737235
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20190830_160235.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.89 MB ID:	737233Click image for larger version  Name:	20190830_160242.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.47 MB ID:	737232Click image for larger version  Name:	20190830_160758.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.12 MB ID:	737231Click image for larger version  Name:	20190830_160941.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.18 MB ID:	737236
    Last edited by Elton's BBQ; August 30, 2019, 11:34 AM.

Haven’t done these for a couple years, might be time to mix some up! They are great!

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Just love this..

Getting lazy no more video production.
    I make whole small pickling onions and eat them right out of the jar. Homemade pickled onions can be bought off the shelves of small pubs these parts. They are a favourite among patrons.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha.. well this was just done on the fly so there were still-shots only..

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Love those English pickled onions.

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah.. they sure are good gcdmd

Thanks for the reminder on this! Need to make some more. These are excellent with many things.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      You are welcome!

Thank you for sharing! Just to bring more kids to play, Meathead has a recipe for this as well. I keep thinking I need to make these, but laziness and all...

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Laziness is no excuse Huskee
      Quick n easy to make.. And thanks for the link to Meatheads recipe!

This recipe is really good also, even better if you can find Seville oranges or naranja agria. These go really well on carnitas or conchinita pibil. Or migas. Or chilaquiles. Or lengua. Or cabeza. Or...

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the link!

Pickled red onions are so darn good. Love them on tacos or with anything chorizo

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Word!

To keep them around for more than a couple weeks, a simple water bath canning will preserve them, no refrigeration needed, well until opened. Just substitute the red onions for the pearl whites in the recipe.

Comment

I love them, to the base recipe I add a cinnamon stick, cloves and all spice.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds good.. Will try this the next batch.

As promised. Wegman’s had some of those weird pale green cucumbers, so I pickled some of them, too, with garlic and peppercorns.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FAFC706C-B364-4AE8-A94A-CAFA2D801921.jpeg
Views:	961
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	741041

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks grand!

I make these like crazy. I found this watching Sam the Cooking Guy.

Comment

Just recently made a new batch..
        Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-06-11 16.25.45.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	860647

Comment

@Elton You have piqued my interest here. Thanks for the post. By chance have you ever had Salsa Criolla (Peruvian) its a red onion mixture that is staple around my house.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
            Elton's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!
            No, never tried that.. I'll look into it.

Those look great. If you mix it up try variations by adding:

Thai chili
          allspice
          star anise
          juniper berries
          mustrd seed
          Golden balsamic
          Cab Vin or red wine vin
          and some water along with the normal salt/sugar etc

Taste that mixture before pouring over the onions and adjust the seasoning.

Calabrian chili’s work pretty good to but their more fussy.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
            Elton's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the suggestions!
            I'll try some of them in my next batch..

I made a batch last week and man are these tasty. Thank you so much for sharing!

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
            Elton's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad you liked this!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here