Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The hirshon olde english spicy cucumber ketchup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hirshon olde english spicy cucumber ketchup

For those who prefer not to click through:

My Citizens, you are assuredly already aware of the unmitigated, perhaps even obsessive love, that the zesty sovereign known always as TFD holds for condiments!

Yet you may not be aware that the most ubiquitous condiment of them all – ketchup! – is in fact an ancient and noble recipe that is way, WAY more versatile than the insipid tomato version that is endemic to today’s kitchen!

Ketchup is, of course, a sauce used as a condiment. Originally, recipes used egg whites, mushrooms, oysters, mussels, or walnuts, among other ingredients, but now the unmodified term usually refers to tomato ketchup. Various other terms for the sauce include catsup, catchup (archaic), ketsup, red sauce, tomato sauce, or, specifically, mushroom ketchup or tomato ketchup.

Ketchup is a sweet and tangy sauce now typically made from tomatoes, sugar, and vinegar, with assorted seasonings and spices. The specific spices and flavors vary, but commonly include onions, allspice, coriander, cloves, cumin, garlic, and mustard; and sometimes include celery, cinnamon or ginger.

In the 17th century, the Chinese mixed a concoction of pickled fish and spices and called it (in the Amoy dialect) kôe-chiap or kê-chiap (鮭汁, Mandarin Chinese guī zhī, Cantonese gwai1 zap1) meaning the brine of pickled fish (鮭, salmon; 汁, juice) or shellfish.

By the early 18th century, the table sauce had arrived in the Malay states (present day Malaysia and Singapore), where English colonists first tasted it. The Malaysian-Malay word for the sauce was kicap or kecap (pronounced "kay-chap"). That word evolved into the English word "ketchup". English settlers took ketchup with them to the American colonies.

The term Catchup was used in 1690 in the Dictionary of the Canting Crew, which was well acclaimed in North America. The spelling "catchup" may have also been used in the past.

In the United Kingdom, preparations of ketchup were historically and originally prepared with mushrooms as a primary ingredient, rather than tomatoes. Ketchup recipes began to appear in British and then American cookbooks in the 18th century.

In a 1742 London cookbook, the fish sauce had already taken on a very British flavor, with the addition of shallots and mushrooms. The mushrooms soon became the main ingredient, and from 1750 to 1850 the word ketchup began to mean any number of thin dark sauces made of mushrooms or even walnuts.

In the United States, mushroom ketchup dates back to at least 1770, and was prepared by British colonists in "English speaking colonies in North America". In contemporary times, mushroom ketchup is available in the UK, although it is not a commonly used condiment.

In fact, cucumber ketchup was very popular in the 18th and 19th centuries as well, and it is well worth reviving – few things are as delicious on fish as this savory, spicy condiment of centuries past!

I’ve updated the classic recipe with a bit of wasabi and a hint of natural green food coloring, but otherwise it is my authentic take on the flavors and spicing of yesteryear – I hope you enjoy it as much as I do, my Citizens! 😀

Battle on – The Generalissimo

Print
    The Hirshon Olde English Spicy Cucumber Ketchup

Ingredients
    • 2 largish English cucumbers, peeled and grated on the big holes of a box grater or blasted in a food processor.
    • 1 heaped tbsp. good coarse salt, such as Maldon
    • 1 heaped tbsp. ginger puree
    • ½ tsp. grated horseradish
    • ½ tsp. wasabi (fresh grated preferred, if unavailable, use top-quality powdered)
    • a liberal grinding of black pepper
    • 1 tsp. white pepper
    • 3 minced large shallots
    • 3 tbsp. malt vinegar
    • ½ tsp. crushed anchovy fillet (Ortiz brand preferred) (optional but recommended)
    • ½ green jalapeño pepper, minced, no seeds
    • ½ tsp. dijon mustard
    • ¼ tsp. mace
    • 1 clove garlic, minced
    • 1 tbsp. minced fresh dill
    • Drops of natural green food coloring, to taste

Instructions
    1. Simmer all the ingredients for 30 minutes.
    2. Let the ketchup cool before using an immersion blender to blitz the mixture before running it through a food mill and bottling it. Add as many drops natural green food coloring to taste as you feel necessary. Unmatched on all seafood, but especially beautiful and delicious served with baked or poached salmon or Arctic Char.

Some time ago I found a recipe for a mushroom ketchup. It was from a guy that does historical food for museums & parks with a "colonial" theme.

Looking forward to trying this one.

Comment

Thank you. Interesting recipe and I’m definitely going to try it.

Comment

• Jhirshon
        Jhirshon commented
        Editing a comment
        You're welcome!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here