Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked some peppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked some peppers

Smoked some peppers a few days ago. Smoked till dry then crushed and submerged in olive oil. A great condiment for adding some zip to various things. Normally carry a bottle with me when we go out to eat.
    Attached Files

I hope those photos are not too big. The ones closest to you are real burners the rest not so much. I skewer them to get the smoke on the inside (takes better that way) and get much more on the racks. About 1.5 to 2 hours. After an few hours in the oil the heat and smoke are there but I try and wait till most of the seeds sink before using it.

Comment

Sounds like a great idea.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

That’s a lot of peppers 🌶. Nice hall.

Comment

Never thought about smoking them before putting them in oil. I used to just put peppers and garlic in oil until a read that's a good way to get botulism. I would think this makes it keep much longer. I smoke peppers all the time too...

Comment

They look great!

Comment

Fantastic harvest, an' some great tips!
                Thanks fer sharin', kind sir!
                I gotta small, but fiery bunch to do, this week, includin' Scorps, Reapers, Ghosts, Habañeros, an' quite a few others
                I am gonna dry most of them out sompletely, but will be doin' yer pepper oils, as well as attemptin' some smoked pepper salt...
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 31, 2017, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Try pepper ice cubes for interesting cocktails

Sounds delicious and looks wonderful! Thanks for posting!

Comment

Had a fellow ferment some dextrose in a container that had hot peppers in it in a previous life. After running through the still and diluted to 45% ABV could still taste the peppers. I thought I was going crazy until I asked him and he gave me the barrel history.

Comment

Any worries about botulism here? I know it's a big no, no, to store garlic in oil due to the possibility of botulism and was wondering if peppers wouldn't fall in the same boat?

Comment

• texastweeter
                      texastweeter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I used to do it all the time...but then heard some terrible stories and did the research. Yep peppers in the same boat. I have read you can greatly reduce that risk by cooking them first, but I don't wanna do that. I wonder if smoke drying them cures them enough to get away with it.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here