Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butter.

Well THIS was ridiculously easy.

Pour one pint of heavy cream into a quart sized Mason jar. Whip it with the whisk attachment of your immersion blender, and in about 3-4 minutes you get sweet cream butter!

(If you don't have an immersion blender you can use a food processor, a regular blender, or you can even cap the jar and shake it for 15 minutes.)

The leftover liquid is buttermilk. Strain it off and use it within 3 days, if you use buttermilk. Rinse the butter completely so there is no buttermilk on it. Wrap it in plastic wrap, shape it, and refrigerate it. You get better butter for less than the cost of buying butter!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0636.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	241787

hahaha, wow I am gonna have to try this. Thanks for posting Mosca!

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      You can salt it a little bit, I didn't know how much to use so I skipped that. It's really mild and sweet.

And you can use the buttermilk to make Blue Cheese Dressing for some wings!!

Comment

Don't think I have enough heavy cream from my last batch of creme brulee. Just enough to tick you off but not enough to use for jack.

Comment

I love butter and buttermilk (with some cornbread in a glass). Thanks for sharing this!

Comment

Might haveta try me th' high tech methods; grew up always shakin' th' jar. Worth it, though! ;-)

Comment

I just had some on a cracker. I have to say, this is the biggest payoff for the least work I've ever done in the kitchen. For easiness it's a 1, the payoff is a 10. I might never buy butter again.

Comment

Here's a good explanation of the process plus a recipe.

I've been meaning to do this, but have not gotten around to it yet.
              Last edited by RonB; November 20, 2016, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Looks fun Mosca. Probably good with fresh bread or dinner rolls! A good Holiday treat.Thanks for the post.

Comment

My wife and I have been making for years. NOTHING compares.
                One problem we did have was it gets hard as a rock when refrigerated.
                This little gadget cures that problem. Soft spreadable BUTTER!!

Comment

• CandySueQ
                  CandySueQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are so right! Love my butter bell.

I make my butter in my Kitchen Aid mixer using the wisk attachment... works like a charm.

Comment

My wife has some kind of little Mason Jar butter churn. Hand crank but works very well.
                  She has had my 7 year old grand daughter making the butter for holidays since she was 4 years old.
                  Grand Daughter is ALL into making the butter!!!

Comment

Blending better butter is better than buying butter but you better buy a better butter blender or you'll be back to buying butter.

Comment

• Mosca
                      Mosca commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No doubt!

A quick note about buttermilk--what we make when we do our own butter is "sweet" buttermilk, not the same as the stuff you buy in the store, which is cultured. Fresh buttermilk is basically skimmed, or at least reduced fat, milk. If you use it in recipes calling for buttermilk, it doesn't "work" the same because it isn't soured or acidic.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...ttermilk_.html
                    Last edited by Willy; November 22, 2016, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• Mosca
                      Mosca commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good information to have! You can make cultured butter by mixing in some plain yogurt, from what I've read.

• Willy
                      Willy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mosca I think using yogurt makes a buttermilk substitute, like adding vinegar to milk makes a substitute. Yogurt uses different bacteria than does buttermilk. You can buy buttermilk culture from cheese places. Or, just buy buttermilk from the store...
                      Last edited by Willy; November 22, 2016, 02:30 PM.

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, and now I'm trying to remember how we made cultured butter one time. That was amazing!

This is cool. Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here