Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My piccata sauce came out muddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My piccata sauce came out muddy

Last week I made a pork tenderloin, and to accompany it I made piccata sauce according to the recipe on this site. While the flavor was fine, it was muddy. This was because of the flour. Anyone know what I did wrong? I followed the recipe as best I could. The instructions state:
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon all purpose flour
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 cup medium dry sherry wine (see note below)
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about the juice of 1 small lemon)

In a small sauce pan melt the butter on low, then whisk together the flour, salt, pepper, over medium until all the flour is dissolved and starts to turn tan. Wait til it turns color, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and lemon juice and crank it to high. Cook the sauce, whisking every 2 minutes or so until it is slightly thick, but not syrupy thick.

I did pretty much that and while the taste was there, it was just muddy. It wasn't a smooth sauce.

Because this recipe didn't make very much, I tripled the amount and made that. 6 tablespoons of lemon juice seemed like a lot, so I reduced it to 5. It was still face-puckeringly sour. I made it again as a double amount and only added 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and that seemed about right. The second batch also came out muddy.

There was no way I was going to find a bottle of sherry around here. They did have some on Taobao - for $40-50 per bottle, no thanks. I just used a cheap Castillian tempranillo red wine, Don Simon, instead. I ditched the capers as well, impossible to find. I did impress one of my Chinese friends by pouring 1 1/2 cups of red and then white wine into a saucepan. I don't think he'd ever seen anyone cook with wine before. Like I said, the taste of the sauce was fine, it was just the texture that didn't turn out well.

Flour will add an opaque look to sauces. Try using one packet of plain powdered gelatin for the original recipe in place of the flour. Shaoxing wine should sub for the sherry. When recipes call for Shaoxing wine in the US, sherry is listed as a substitute. Make sure it's not the cooking version - that has salt added and tastes bad.

Cornstarch will also sub for flour. Here's an article that might help.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here