Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vinegars or acidic’s.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Vinegars or acidic’s.

    I’m looking to improve my pantry, and while I have a various selection of different vinegars, rice, red wine, white, wine, balsamic, and apple cider, they are the standard basic grocery store vinegars, I know balsamic has a huge range, and I would like to get a few different in that grouping, other than the cheap one I have.

    I use mostly White wine, rice wine for cooking, & the occasional balsamic for finishing salads, I also use lot’s of lemons and limes, chardonnay, & dry vermouth lately.

    Which vinegars or acidic do you like to use most for finishing dishes, and do you have a preferred brand for taste?
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; September 14, 2026, 10:41 AM.

    #2
    We love Nona Pia's Classic Balsamic Glaze. Picked up our first bottle from Costco about 6 years ago and never looked back. It's nice and syrupy and tastes delicious.

    Comment


    • Finster
      Finster commented
      Editing a comment
      Drat. I just made my monthly trip to Costco on Saturday.
      Will have to remember to look for this next time

    #3
    Richard Chrz our pantries are similar. Rice vinegar, red wine, sherry vinegar for recipes. A very nice balsamic for finishing. I actually made a tarragon vinegar with a surplus of fresh herbs a while back. ACV is always on hand for recipes and health benefits.

    in a pinch, to “beef up” your balsamic, try reducing it some. I understand balsamic from Modena is the best.

    Comment


      #4
      Ponzu sauce. It has a unami (bonito savings) essence, sour (citrus/vinegar) and saltiness (soy sauce).

      I like to add it to Asian soups, gyoza for dipping and sushi.

      Comment


      • SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes! Ponzu! And that said, I’m a big fan of yuzu.

      #5
      Yea Nona Pia's and Ponzu ae solid choices. Try to find some that are aged. Like good wine the older they are the more complex they get. This one from my local HEB is sweet as candy, awesome stuff !!!


      ​
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	74
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1885950


      ​

      Comment


        #6
        Try a sherry vinegar. Use the hell outta that stuff here.

        Comment


        • Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Is there a particular brand that you prefer?
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; September 15, 2026, 09:40 AM.

        • texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Don Bruno for ust everyday use. Richard Chrz

        #7
        Richard … I highly recommend Villa Manodori Balsamic Vinegar (from Chef Massimo Bottura in Modena, Italy). It’s not cheap but it’s good enough to serve as a fine finishing vinegar and (just barely ) affordable enough to cook with. I order it from Amazon. I hope you decide to give it a try.

        Richard Chrz - I forgot to mention that Olio2go.com is an awesome source of high quality Italian vinegars and oils.
        Last edited by MBMorgan; September 14, 2026, 11:11 PM.

        Comment


          #8
          Look Into TJ Robinson's Olive Oil Club. He typically has an interesting vinegar package during Christmas. Do not need to be a quarterly club member to purchase. I have gotten it a couple of times. A good balsamic + others. And look into The Mala Market, in Nashville. for Chinese variants.

          Comment


          • SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on Mala Market

          #9
          It's been mentioned already, but I want to emphasize Sherry vinegar. There are lots of good ones available, including aged varieties. They have a lot of complex flavor and are somewhat "brighter" than a good balsamic. I bought cboss a variety of them a few years back and we have enjoyed using them.

          Comment

          Announcement

          Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          0
          Guest
          Guest
          500
          ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
          7