Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Country Mustard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country Mustard

Inspired by Berry I wanted to try to make some mustard for my Cuban sandwiches. Stumbled on this from Hank Shaw

http://honest-food.net/2015/05/08/ho...ake-mustard-2/

Im a big Hank Shaw fan.

I just put the first batch in the Fridge from brown seeds. Hope it mellows a bit. : 0
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; April 17, 2016, 04:28 PM.

Jon Solberg, Thanks for the Link Jon! My Dad used to make Hot Mustard w/Horseraddish it would make you Sweat but was Great!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

The first time I tried mustard seeds I crunched a few in my mouth... I thought, "Wow what a bunch of useless birdseed, there's no flav---...YOWZERS!"... spicy little buggers.

Comment

Marauderer posted this recipe a while back. I love it. In my experience, the brown seeds are much hotter than the yellow seeds--I usually do them about 50/50. I also use a basic blender instead of a hand blender.

Marauderer’s Mustard

I found this recipe in Gourmet Magazine back when it was a bimonthly periodical.
        This makes about 1.5 cups
        It only takes about 10 min but you have to let the mustard seeds soak for two days.

½ cp mustard seeds (different seeds, different flavors)
        ¾ cp cider vinegar (I use Braggs)
        1/3 cp water
        1 ¼ tsp sugar
        1 ½ tsp salt

Soak mustard seeds in the vinegar and water for two days at room temp. (if seeds are not submerged add a bit of water until they are)
        Puree mixture with the sugar and salt in food processor, I use a hand blender, until almost smooth, about 2 min.
        Thin to desired consistency with additional water and season with salt to taste.
        Chilled the mustard will last at least a month.

Comment

That mustard looks delicious! Fine job!

Comment

That looks like something I should try.

Comment

Looks great Jon!!

Comment

I've been dreaming about making my own mustard .... really. I'll be trying this recipe out soon

Comment

I like mustard, but never though much about it until my wife brought back a jar of a jalapeno mustard called "Fat Dog" from Oregon. OMG! It's the most incredible stuff I've ever had and it's just mustard! Maybe I can figure out the recipe now. LOL

Comment

Jon thanks for sharing your found recipe. It looks like a winner.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here