Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since I love mustard sauce… and white sauce… and peppers… and honey…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I love mustard sauce… and white sauce… and peppers… and honey…

My pantry sauce choices caused me a setback while I tried commercial sauces from all over the place… Some award winning while most were not…

A recent post on sauce blending techniques made me realize my Honey Mayo-Mustard PepperMash squeeze bottle was almost empty…

Since getting down to my favorite fundamental flavors, that are always in our pantry, I’ve found a combination of items that I prefer on everything from French fries to steak to Brussels sprouts and fish…. If I am barbecuing, I may mix some with black pepper infused vinegar, but otherwise it’s my can’t miss sauce when I need one…

It’s my ultimate, “I put that %&@# on everything,” sauce…

I hope you have one that you can’t go wrong with, and doesn’t get lost in the back of the fridge…

I use a NutriBullet Rx to blend it… with the consistency of mayo and mustard, nothing settles or separates between uses…

I weigh the following:
    20 oz. of Duke’s Yellow Cap Mayo…
    20 oz. of yellow mustard like French’s or Plochman’s…
    5 oz. of wildflower honey…
    here’s the trick…
    I use 4 oz. of a pepper relish, I’ve affectionately named PepperMash…. I don’t have a commercially available alternative…. Which was the reason for me to concoct PepperMash…

then blend until homogeneous…
    use portions to make the amount you may desire…
    it doesn’t stay long in our house…

I don’t add any other spice because I reserve that for the particular dish I’m using this dressing for…

Attached Files
    Last edited by Washblue; December 1, 2022, 11:19 AM.

Funny, just this morning, I was talking with my child bride about picking up some honey to make a honey mustard dressing.
    I am getting tired of ranch dressing.

Comment

• Washblue
      Washblue commented
      Editing a comment
      And yes, I use this same sauce as a tossed salad dressing and some even goes in tuna and egg salad and deviled eggs and potato salad! I say go for it and enjoy it!

Washblue Can you write this up with specific measurements (as close as you can anyway) and post it in the Condiments Recipes channel?

Comment

• Washblue
      Washblue commented
      Editing a comment
      There’s a problem… the base sauce of mayo, mustard and honey are carefully weighed… for repeat performances…

But the red blob isn’t available to others to make the recipe…

And it makes the sauce what it is….

I hoped others would find flavors that excites their tastebuds and not make everything taste like a masking sauce… but instead enhance the flavor of the food…

The end product required me to take my favorite 🌶 and preserve it in a relish for me to use in all kinds of recipes…

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Washblue Roger that. Is there a near substitute that I could find to make something similar to this here?

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I grew Serrano peppers this year just because of Washblue post on his peppermash! I made one big error, I didn't MASH so I've got real pretty whole peppers canned. I figure I can mash when using. Huskee I think a pretty close match would be drained and mashed Cowboy Candy (sweet jalapenos). I think another interesting substitution would be mashed Hatch chiles. I've got to buy Dukes, definitely going to do this sauce.

CandySueQ , the blender should solve that whole pepper problem…

I took a picture of my squeeze bottle for the right amount of specks…

My favorite peppers are Serrano’s… other flavors and heat amounts will need to be regulated…

I also use the PepperMash to infuse honey and keep a jar on the counter too…

im not a heat freak, but can make everything just spicy enough with these items…

I named it because I gave labeled jars and bottles of sauces as party favors at family reunions…. They went perfectly with reunion weekends…

Those red bits are about 3X real size…​
    Attached Files

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, that helps! I have really grown to love Serrano peppers, going to double my plants next growing season.

Here's the crazy thing, my grandmother used to make the same sauce for us when we were kids for dipping buttermilk fried chicken nuggets and strips in. Back then she used hellmans as dukes was not this far south yet. Fast forward to about 10 years ago, and I made the same thing for my kids, but I'm a heat freak. I had been experimenting with making a much hotter version of tiger sauce for me, but it kept coming out as just habanero pepper jelly (I make that too but combined with peaches). A few jars of it sat on my pantry shelves for several month as it was too thick to pour like I wanted. It was waiting to be served with cream cheese and crackers. I added a dollop (admittedly much bigger than the one in your post) to my dipping sauce for my chicken and it was perfect. I now make it everything I make buttermilk chicken strips or nuggets. I bet the habanero jelly is very similar to your "Pepper Mash". Tousands of miles apart and a very similar sauce evolved. Next, your gonna tell me you make black pepper pulled venison sandwiches, or crappie and serrano civiche too!

Comment

• Washblue
      Washblue commented
      Editing a comment
      We could switch dining tables and not be shocked at what the other family served…

• Washblue
      Washblue commented
      Editing a comment
      I limit my initial heat… and hand a shaker of PepperMash Dust to those who can handle the spice…

everyone is satisfied and none require burn gel…

I always shake extra… because I miss it if it’s not there…

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Tonight will be wings in sweet ghost chili sauce, salad with blue cheese dressing, and from scratch mac and cheese. Tomorrow is black pepper pulled venison sandwiches, pinto beans, and green beans with dove breast. Anything similar lol. Between you and Panhead John I sometimes think there is a spy in my midst.

I just had another shock… Ya’ll hear me speak of my sister… who along with myself have been caretakers for our 93 year old mother, and our 94 year old father who passed a year ago…

Sister fell and broke her leg last night and now I’ll be nurse for two!

My hunting season is effectively closed…. And December hunting is our prime time!

I’m in shock! Sister’s just out of her first surgery, so her shock is much worse than mine!​
    Last edited by Washblue; December 3, 2022, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Lemme know if you need some venison sausage or ham or backstrap sent your way. Hell any wild game. Between me, Mrs.Calhoun, and my oldest boy and girl we have plenty.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Hate to hear about your sis. I'm sure you got her though

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter my sister is fine, but...

It’s what family does, klflowers … You know… and Thank You…

Thank You texastweeter … That’s most kind… Our freezers are good, but next season we’ll be under the gun… pun totally unavoidable…

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here