Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shelf life of horseradish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shelf life of horseradish

I was making my first recipe that needed 'Prepared horseradish'. Remembering it as an American version of wasabi, I pulled it out of the refrigerator, opened the top and sniffed, but smelled nothing. It didn't surprise me that it was expired, threw it out, and went to the store.

When I looked at the 'Best By' date on the first bottle of horseradish in the store, it said August 2021 -- just 3 months away! Picking out the bottle behind it, I saw it had an expiration date of October 2021. At least I had a couple of more months with that bottle. When I opened it at home, the aroma was immediately there.

I'm surprised cold, bottled horseradish has such a short shelf life -- possibly the same as some dried spices. Life is too short to cook with expired horseradish. One more kitchen lesson under my belt!

I don’t know for sure. But I hope the last bottle I got lasts for a while. It was totally off the charts hot. Even for me. Still have about half of it left.
    BTW thanks for reminding me I have this in the fridge.

Comment

What I did with the last bottle of prepared horseradish was to portion it and freeze it. I put it on plastic wrap on a cookie sheet in the freezer. After it froze, I put all the portions in a zipper bag and back in the freezer it went.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here