Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry rub smoked wings -- blasphemy tastes good!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry rub smoked wings -- blasphemy tastes good!

I have made this recipe from June, 2015 Food & Wine twice and it's fantastic. Can't stop until the wings are all gone. The printed recipe is a regular grilling recipe, but the chef's note on the picture caption mentioned smoking -- see the note below -- so that's how I've done them on my Weber Genesis. I used apple wood both times, about 6 oz right at the start for 3lbs wings.

Total Time grilled: 30 min cook. 4 hours total
    Total Time smoked: 45-60 min cook. ~4-5 hours total.

Brine:
    1/2 c kosher salt
    3 T light brown sugar
    2 garlic cloves
    1 t whole black peppercorns
    1 bay leaf
    3# chicken wings, tips discarded

Rub (makes enough for 2-3 recipes):
    1/4 c dark brown sugar
    1/4 c sugar
    1/4 c sweet paprika
    1 T granulated garlic
    1 T kosher salt
    1 T granulated onion
    3/4 T ground black pepper
    1/2 T dry sage
    1/2 T ground ginger
    1/2 T cayenne pepper

In a large saucepan, combine the brine ingredients (minus the chicken) with 2 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the sugar and salt dissolve, ~3 min. Let cool to room temperature.

In a large bowl, pour the brine over the chicken wings. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.

Meanwhile, make the rub. In a bowl, mix all of the ingredients.

Light a grill and oil the grate. Drain the wings and pat dry with paper towels. In a large bowl, toss the wings with ~1/3 cup of the dry rub. Grill over moderate heat, turning, until nicely charred and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Serve hot with lime wedges.

NOTE: The blurb from the chef mentions "I usually smoke them for 45 minutes at 220 degrees and crisp them up on the grill". This is how I've made them and the smoking is well-worth the extra time.

Food & Wine suggests: Pair with crisp pale ale like Brooklyn Brewery Summer or with 2013 Damien Coquelet Beaujolais-Villages. I say, summer ales, pilsners, lagers, a not-dry (i.e. not most French) rose wine like a Virgina rose or our favorite, the Charles & Charles Rose, or Alsatian Riesling.

Thanks for this, I love the flavor and texture of smoked wings and I almost always find room for a few wings on the kettle when doing a long low and slow cook. I will have to try this recipe out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here