Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Best of the Best Wing Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t do "the best" thing. I have found quality chicken like "Mary’s Chicken" or similar (I buy at Whole Foods) dry brined overnight and super high heat is the best way to go.

These days I’m eating my beef towards medium and seasoning with salt n pepper in general.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      "Super high heat" meaning 400° F+?

We like to switch it up pretty often rather than stick to one recipe/flavor, but as everyone has noted the kettle/vortex process will get you there. Per HouseHomey 's suggestion, we've also found starting with better chicken makes a big difference, usually buying organic chicken wings. I like to dry brine them uncovered overnight and feel it gets the skin crispier. We didn't care for the taste imparted by baking powder, but it did add to the crispy factor. If I'm saucing them, I don't toss them in it until after they come off. I would encourage getting that vortex as full as you can, I usually end up topping it off (make sure the grate will still lay flat on top) after pouring an entire lit chimney into it, then let it preheat ~10+ min or so. I flip them once a little more than halfway thru.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wings.jpg Views:	0 Size:	566.7 KB ID:	985215

Comment

• bep35
      bep35 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wings tend to be overpriced, probably due to high demand. Some folks go with drumsticks as they are often cheaper and have more meat. But you can't beat good wings which is what we will be going with next weekend.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I too don’t like frozen wings. The ones I’ve found are usually nasty and no flavor. I’ve been buying only fresh for quite a while now. And I also like to do legs as well with the wings.

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely go with the drumsticks sometimes. A little prep work to turn them into lollipops and they’re a huge hit.

I like to dry brine overnight then add my rub and cook using the vortex. Then have several different types of sauces ready so everyone can choose what they want.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AB1D801C-4620-498B-8443-D7CB65D9AC60.jpeg
Views:	295
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	985297

Comment

• BigD
      BigD commented
      Editing a comment
      Is this a 22" weber or 26"? Trying to figure out maximum capacity of each and this looks like a great picture for reference.

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      BigD this is a 26”

As with most things there is a bifurcation.

you can smoke them low and deep fry to finish and crisp the skin

or

you can vortex blast them at 500+F air temp.

In both cases fry brine first at least overnight and up to 48 hrs in the fridge. Can use a light coating of rub here also.

in the latter case don’t sauce until near the end (you can sauce after they are done also but I like to get the sauce to set on them with heat, just stand right there - they go from perfect to burnt sauce quickly).

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      "Perfect to burnt." Ha! Don’t pull a Homey and walk away to make another drink (then, not now) just for a minute. Oops. 🤦🤦

JimLinebarger as hot as you can go while cooking the inside without burning the outside.

So the opposite of "Dads backyard burned and raw chicken of yore."

For me that’s a SnS on the 26, wide open and loaded for bear.

Im with FishTalesNC on the baking powder thing. It’s completely unnecessary for this
    cook and taste bad.

After the uncovered overnight brine the chicken skin should feel "leathery" or the like (proper term??) and will have pulled away slightly from the meat and bone.

These should cook in a real hurry too. Pull, toss and eat. Money!

I do not have a Vortex. FOGO gets pretty hot though.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree about the baking powder, I've done it a couple different ways and didn't like the flavor or texture.

Smoked, fried, and kettle wings

Name:	P0NXZX_t3DTUgXNKZRkoSIg_wgZd4pD-y4ryksnkhqzY1geuDYdYkZvEANyaSPDnCbB0vPUPuLW1go-D0xlQr0bbOq_MPHjZgLgCXQl9_JmfA7G6JQ-vxpXn_-Z_zj7XVzXGgibh4OLfxzTUbAe3z-gk7oXw-J4hdr2GateRySzDMKQvjc3B9VD5zSeeF7hT1NwPvIenN2xJ4BB0oAP7a6Ne-bkXFR5xo3-l6wH_pBVdvGhT14UkBKkDcfuFLDC
Views:	264
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	986890

Name:	QSr7hW2gS9BNxusDXMThOSvL6evWEvqJacEptyJvf3rYYBnnShfvYWDH0ALLMbhnRr7PVTDJvqbTflULM1RLLrbiV6JQKzyP4NmPe9gZUszGIU0w4ZRSEMELJ16qzyyMOXYiilSJbiyb0vW6PVWbzECuXJfgi69fjDqIzxqJKuyZHssK419-0Qds71qxC1dnsJasXRt8kWftvHX73jRHIPRK1QoYZPbcWdNhhhUrKQnB8bi4Ao9rRFzuEQQnDL-
Views:	239
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	986891

Name:	OU6U1tzq_LSOHkzPGgsjeG-_aal3F8gtIDnureriBasUadkfiMVP8eihxKd-SMEZEotmVGnhcnFuKkrBrqNX4N3Hj6HzmnPUZgGE0z7VzFaRdYYqJKS4k9YYADRFfYER6vzOHJFaoN5cYhpV-XP8j_WWRRa3PuAqi9BKzmeRzJHkSJVzK4abzmKiEGCHBOP8iDXStupc3BJ_Z-wbkOz6JM9m4mZSo-tsKPiTeRjc2e8cfK2YChlcdJ3VpLn2NUP
Views:	238
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	986892

Name:	BhiUx-t-ABa5dMwNMvk8BccQmxx5TfvDmer04j2CYwtk5C5zVz1G4k-1AClaWBS2wIjFw1S9Vlby48P2D_NfsEmorJ0WtO0H2_cMXUZpSMnk44goTM8DolrUvdDxjBpjeLnVw7SU9bT1WNylPzKUvKxW8R981ZDN3lzphhDVVuEVPFhstd6kUyOIDgDjAf1zBJWeS8K_86vFaRQFPcxofFmEFk1v-GLTvl7XNMQjzpCehbbmZghXR3qQWLNFXxg
Views:	248
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	986893

Comment

• bep35
      bep35 commented
      Editing a comment
      My goodness, those all look good!

I wanted to close this out by letting everyone know we had our "Cabin Weekend" where we grilled wings on a Weber Kettle using the Vortex and 6 different wing recipes. I was disappointed in the skin on the wings as it seemed more chewy than crispy. That might be attributed to grilling at 22 below zero, but the Vortex didn't seem to have a problem keeping the grill thermometer maxed out.

We polled the family after eating wings and the favorites came out as follows:

#1. Franks wing sauce - probably because for some this is what wings should taste like. Not my favorite.
    #2. A custom rub and Asian Glaze found on another thread by Henrik
    #3. Killer Hog Sauce and Mississippi Grind Rub as mentioned by gregtr1 above.
    #4 Franks Original Sauce and Newman's Own Creamy Caesar Dressing as mentioned by jerrybell and Huskee above

In no particular order, the last three were my personal favorites.

On another night I grilled six Ribeye and two T-Bone steaks around the Vortex and it was flawless. It worked really well for indirect cooking to have all the steaks equal-distant from the coals which meant they finished in about the same amount of time. I then reverse seared them over the Vortex. When grilling in temperatures 20 below zero I didn't t want to spend a lot of time moving steaks around and the Vortex was great for that.

I don't have pictures because with the temperature extremes I spent as little time outdoors as possible. Along with dark, smoke, and steam, there really wasn't much to photograph. Thanks everyone for sharing your favorite recipes.
    Last edited by bep35; February 17, 2021, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like fun, trying so many wing flavors! Glad you not only tried my suggestion, but liked it too 👍

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Same comment as Henrik.

I make my own hot sauce. The key to good wings is the right hot sauce in MYHO. I like it hot. Very hot. Last year's sauce was Chocolate Bhutlah peppers in a balsamic vinegar base. I use an air fryer starting with naked frozen wings. Usually about 30-35 minutes. Then toss the wings in my sauce with some olive oil. Here's a picture.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty good post.....for your 4th in 6 years. 😄

• bep35
      bep35 commented
      Editing a comment
      If I was ever to actually get a picture of a cook, it would probably look something like that. Thanks!

I have been doing 1Hour wet brine, 2 hours smoke after soaking in Cajun Chefs hot sauce. Then I can chill them unitl it is time to finish and I do that one a hot gas grill. I don't get left overs

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here