Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Turkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Turkeys

So I'm looking for some advice/information. I've had a little success in Smoking Turkey. Now for Thanksgiving I would like to Smoke 12 to 14 Turkeys, to give to family, friends, and a few needy. My Box 50 will hold 4 to Maybe 6 at a time. So I would like to start them on the Wednesday before so I can pass them out and they can reheat them at home on Thursday.

My dilemma is, will they keep overnight in the refrigerator cooked and will it dry out trying to reheat it the next day.

Yes I will brine and inject. I also stuff them with Apples, Onions, Oranges and yes a stick of Butter.

Any ideas and suggestions. I have a month to practice.

Wow, that is waaaaay over my head. Good luck.

Comment

Have you bought the turkeys yet? If not, I would go with big breasts. You will be able to get a lot more on the smoker if your goal is to give it away. With breasts, you can rub and inject. Smoke, bringing to temp, pull, refrigerate. On the day you want to give it away, slice apples and onions and put them on a sheet of foil. Instead of oranges, grate lemon, lime and orange peels for the top. Put it back in the smoker on a low temp. One hour should be sufficient. Skin will not be crispy when recooked. I did something similar for Thanksgiving for Camp Fire volunteers/workers. They loved it but they were really most appreciative of getting a holiday meal. I delivered it in my Cambro and a buddy sliced and served. I didn't actually get to sample it.

Comment

Thank you for the feed back. May have to go that route. Every idea and input helps.

Comment

Imce, ya gotta keep tap dancin, an light on yer feet, an proactive, doin multiple turkeys...

Last year, I did almost none fer Thanksgivin, due to dealin with a death in my family...

Year previous, I did 73 fer other folks / family... (plus ~ 2X hams)

They all will git done at different times, an ya gotta stay proactive to nail em...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 10, 2020, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• PipsBBQ
            PipsBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow not even near that level. Just a wanta be. Trying to move up one level and do the right thing at the same time. My thought is start 3 or 4am and under cook a little. Deliver them and let the oven finish it off. Still open for idea's. Frozen the last batch so Thats still an option as well.

• PipsBBQ
            PipsBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Side note, Sorry for your loss as well. Seven years ago I loss my wife of 32 years. Brain Tumor took her away in Three days. That said just remarried 2 months ago. Not lucky in life just Love.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here