Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 8-year old son nailed a Mountain-Grass-Chicken. PRICELESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those pictures are great. He looks like he's really digging it. It can be hard to keep an eight year old interested in something for more than 15 minutes. Congrats to him on a great looking cook.

From the title of the post, I assumed he shot a grouse or something. I've never seen this cooking method with the grass in the dutch oven. Is that something you came up with or maybe a traditional recipe you've learned? I'm so curious.

Comment

• PuraLena
      PuraLena commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know it's origen. Some time ago I just stumbled over a picture and immediatly recognized it's potential. Closed environment and bird lifted from the bottom. It's like a protective shield. And can hardly fail. And yes, I always try to be one step ahead of my son's curiosities and abilities. As a fail could be the end of motivation.
      And what better than to even surprise the best BBQ group with a new product.
      Last edited by PuraLena; October 7, 2020, 06:35 AM.

• PuraLena
      PuraLena commented
      Editing a comment
      Have to get him a 'PitMaster' certificate for our office. As it was a priceless day which he should never forget.
      I just ordered one from the Pit Boys. Even if he doesn't understand them, he sure enjoys watching them with me.
      Last edited by PuraLena; October 8, 2020, 06:49 AM.

Excellent!

Comment

Nice job kiddo! Gonna be a BBQ stud at this rate!

Comment

Can anyone affirm that pictures in second post now also show up correctly? Thx. Just a like is enough.

Comment

Absolutely fabulous! I really enjoyed the presentation of the cook. I also have never seen chicken (or anything else) cooked in straw. Very very cool.....coooooooool!! But those dutch ovens with a lip on top for coals and below it as well as on top of it are extremely efficient (I have one) and they cook superbly. Yes, you would need something to keep the meat from burning.......I have used cabbage leaves for that purpose. They turned black and sacrificed themselves for the remainder of the meal.

I started cooking in the Boy Scouts at age 11 and I got my son started in the Boy Scouts at about the same age. Wonderful way to spend time with your son. I am sure you are very proud of him. I know all of us here are also!

Congratulations to your son and to you sir for raising him right!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• PuraLena
            PuraLena commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, I also have a scouting history. And it has shown me a lot of life experience. One can be a manual labourer while the other is head of HRM in a large company. We all learnt that it is about the great mix of skills which make us strong. And some 45 years later we still try to reunite for a gentlemans weekend trip.

Sadly we still cannot show our results to the bigger public in real life. So here he is, back to old and nasty habit of watching his mobile. While we visited another historical 'Plaza Major' in a small Spanish town.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201005_170128.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	920983

Comment

Drop the mic, bro - this is post of the year. You're boy is adorable and let me know when that YT channel is up and running cause I'll definitely subscribe.

Comment

• PuraLena
              PuraLena commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, I am showing him his gifts. And just hope he keeps liking it. But as allways if he gets noticed. And sees the Instagram and Faceboo replies. It only makes things easier for me.

Wow! This is awesome!

Comment

I never could pass my Boy Scout Cooking Merit badge because of darn chicken! Three times I failed cooking over campfire in the Lincoln National Forest.
              You have a very cute son. Keep encouraging him to cook!!

Comment

• PuraLena
                PuraLena commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep I would love to. But it is up to him to decide. I can only point him in the right direction. By finding some spectacular, but rather simple recipes. And maybe this weekend we go camping. And take our big Q. If I can't work due to the lockdown, we can at least get ourselves shown. By the way, I have a Scout history too.

Outstanding, AR dad of the year!

Comment

• PuraLena
                PuraLena commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, I really hope he continous in this path.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here