Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buffalo wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We cooked a few wings tonight in our air fryer, we cooked them for 35 minutes and the wings came out crispy. This was our first attempt using the air fryer and it was pretty easy to do. Our next attempt will be with the air fryer after we marinate them in Meatheads Italian vinaigrette.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EA387E98-F5EB-43F5-9B3F-6BB38FE3D48A.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	888487

Comment

While sometimes you just want some fried wings, I’ve found that cooking them direct on Grillgrates on my gas grill gives me a nice crispy wing, with a little bit of char. You’ve just got to get them well done and crispy, and they are almost as good as fried, and a heck of a lot easier. I can throw out 10 pounds at once on the Genesis II, versus about 1 pound in my Counter top deep fryer. The Grillgrates prevent flare ups, and also when I paint the buffalo sauce on near the end of the cook, it sizzles in the valleys of the grate and I think adds even more flavor to the wings. I would say I go about 45 minutes on medium heat, flipping every 10 minutes.

Comment

I rarely fry wings anymore but I definitely prefer fried wings tossed with Franks and butter to pretty much any other wing. If deep frying wasn't the hassle it is I would only cook wings that way. But I don't deep fry much more than wings so it always seems like a waste of oil.

I tried some double fried wings once. Basically you confit the wings first in some 200 degree oil, let them rest, and then dunk them in some hot oil to finish them up. Super crispy but I don't think the effort is worth it.

For grilled wings I dry brine the wings, load up a bunch of coal in the middle of the kettle using either a vortex or some charcoal baskets, season the wings (Meat Church Holy Voodoo has been my go to recently), and put them in a ring around the edge of the grill. Flip after 20 minutes or so. Takes 30-40 minutes usually and they end up with a nice, crispy skin and a good texture.

If I need to do a lot of wings I will fire up the Ranch with 2 SNS XLs in the middle acting like a charcoal basket:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ranch wings.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	888636

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! That ranch kettle with two SNS XL's is a sight to behold!

Another vote for the Vortex——can’t beat the resulting wings!!!

Comment

It took me a few days to get a recent pic, but here you go.
          I'll heat up some Franks Red Hot with ghee, let it cool, then lightly coat the wings. I'll coat them an hour before cooking to waiting until the next day because the weather interfered. I don't think it makes much difference. All I do is a very light coating.

Into the WSJ with GrillGrates. No wood for smoke, just let the GGs do their thing, and they do it very well. I turn them once and when I do they sizzle like crazy and a few will even jump like a chicken wing jumping bean. Basically they are frying in their own skin and the ghee. Muck better tasting than vegetable oil IMO.

Since they've only been coated lightly with the Franks mixture the flavor of the sauce is not very strong. I like to serve them with individual ramekins of dipping sauce of whatever the preference is. I think this also keeps the skin crispy when they are dipped individually when eating versus tossing a whole bunch in a bowl at once. Not everybody likes the hot stuff so something like Huskee orange jalapeno Shawsh works well. My own serving I dipped them in Most Wanted Habanero.

​​​​​​​

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            This is my favorite way to cook wings, or chicken in general - on the Grillgrates, on the kettle. It's direct grilled, but without flareups, and as you say, things kinda sizzle and fry on those hot grillgrates.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here