Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob chicken on the WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob chicken on the WSM

First time using my WSM and charcoal today. I just bought a whole chicken cut up and used meatheads Memphis rub. I used 3 chunks of hickory. I fired up the grill at the end and threw them on for a few minutes to get the skin to render a bit.

Overall it was good. Definitely more smoke flavor than the grill. Difficult to control temperature at the beginning of the cook. I tried to season it in the morning before using but I still need some experience to get the Temps configured.
    Attached Files

Beautiful color on dem dudes!!!

Comment

josht138 if you have not already done so, you may want to watch Harry Soo's seminar on getting the most from your WSM. I noticed it looked like this was your first cook on your WSM. I had trouble with mine the first several runs, and the seminar took care of it.

Looks like a great first run you had!

Comment

Seems like you had it under control.
        When I do chicken on the WSM I leave the water bowl out. This gives me high enough temp for crispy skin.
        And try not to fight with the temp. It will just frustrate you. Just get it in 215 - 260 range (not for chicken, >325) and let it do what it do. These cookers will settle down wherever they feel like on that day.

Comment

Thanks guys! richinlbrg I did watch that seminar last week before firing it up. It is great stuff!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here