Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to smoke chicken breasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too have tried to add a good method of cooking chicken breast to my arsenal with little luck. I prefer the dark meat pieces, but would also like to perfect chicken breast. Unless you batter and then fry in oil, I'm starting to think white meat chicken is only meant to be boiled and then shredded for things like enchiladas. That's the way the wife does it and it turns out fantastic every time.

Comment

OT -- I've also been interested in burger patties made from poultry.
      The first time I tried it with ground turkey breast. Working with ground turkey was -- icky -- and the final results were underwhelming, too.
      Since I had a meat grinder, I decided to try burgers made from ground chicken thighs. I needed some bread crumbs to help it stick together, but the flavor was great! If you're interested in trying something different from beef burgers, give ground chicken thighs a try.

Comment

I never use boneless skinless chicken breasts for anything. Most of the time I do chicken breasts it's never for more than two people, so two breasts are fine, and that's just right for the WSJ as well. Bone-in steaks are a waste to me, but I think bone-in chicken breasts do something magic. I only dry brine because it's much easier to manage than a big bowl of water in the fridge. If the breast has loin meat exposed be sure to get a little kosher salt in that area as well.

Here's an old picture of a couple I did before I started using GrillGrates. I don't bother with direct/indirect areas or water pans. No room in the WSJ! Just a flat bed off KBB here and a very generous handful of wood chips. Hot and fast. I guarantee they were juicy.

Now here's a recent photo of a WSJ GrillGrates cook. I used Walkerswood Jamaican paste without a separate dry brine because the end product would be too salty. Sometimes I'll pull back the skin on the side and let it crisp there while allowing the skin to develop some direct color like you see here. Using a Thermoworks IR gun the GrillGrates run around 450. I use Kingsford Pro or Long Burning exclusively now in the WSJ so the GGs are still hot when it's time to scrape them clean after dinner. The wood chips were a mix of hickory and apple (fake pimento). Again, hot and fast with a blast of smoke. Looks juicy to me.

My first cook on my first WSJ (I'm on my third now) some 25 years was bone-in chicken breasts. I followed the guide about indirect heat, water pan, etc. I know I'm now breaking the rules here, but you know what a certain guy around here says about rules.

Comment

• Ricardo
        Ricardo commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks delicious, specially the second photo, thanks for sharing.

There's a great solution to skinless breast drying out. Wrap in bacon.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Bacon!!! Always.

I've also done them where I marinade in a mixture of Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and olive oil salt and pepper. Before grilling. That kept em moist

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here