Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 lb turkey breast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 lb turkey breast

Wife picked up a 3 lb turkey breast from the store and would like it smoked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200704-143735_Instacart.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	875152
    It's boneless and I'm assuming skinless. With hardly any fat to render, would you still smoke at 300-350?
    Or low and slow?
    Thinking about injecting it with low sodium stock to keep it moist.

Suggestions and tips appreciated.

Malcom Reed has a recipe on that. I'm pretty sure it's on YouTube.

Comment

The first one is the one that I was aware of.

Comment

I’ve never done a butterball, just whole birds
      I’ve never had a problem with dry meat and I’ve never injected so I would assume since yours is already injected with butter/fat you would not need to inject again but your choice
      Been awhile since I smoked a turkey and it’s usually in the winter so 275-300 would be my starting point
      Hope this helps
      Good luck

Comment

I've done them on the Weber Kettle with SnS. I believe I cooked at 325-350 Indirect with water in the SnS. My last one fell apart quite a bit as I sliced it...that's when I wish I tied it before cooking even though it was netted beforehand. They are tasty as is. My vote is to not inject.

Comment

I'm trying Aaron Franklin's recipe on my next turkey breast. We talked about it here just a week or so ago:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...926#post871926

Kathryn

P.S. If it's a Butterball, it's already been injected. It has a higher salt content because of that, as I recall. FWIW, I inject with melted butter, usually.
          Last edited by fzxdoc; July 5, 2020, 06:46 AM.

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            When you do this, you need to also go ahead and make a batch of Aaron Franklin's espresso bbq sauce. I skip the recommended brisket drippings, just so it can be kept in the fridge longer.

This past weekend, we had some friends and neighbors over for ribs and turkey breast, and the turkey and sauce stole the show once again. One guest even said she was stuffed, but was going to get one more slice of turkey just so she could have more sauce.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here