Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first time 2 different meat smoke advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first time 2 different meat smoke advice

I want to smoke a spatchcock chicken and 2 racks of BB ribs at 300. Any suggestions for cook sequence. Thanks, Paul

I'd smoke the ribs a little lower. Then take them off, get the temp up to 350 and do the chicken. That's how I attempt to do it.

Comment

Yeah... the issue is that chicken really wants to be cooked in the mid 300's to crisp skin and break down collagen and such in the dark meat, and ribs in the mid 200's. Ribs take 4-5 hours, chicken takes about 60 to 90 minutes, so I would smoke the ribs at 250, pull and wrap in foil, and into a cooler wrapped with towels, or into a warm oven and hold them while you crank the heat to 350 and throw the chicken on for 60-90 minutes, until it hits 160F in the breast.

While a butt can take 300 degrees and be just fine, and a brisket can too, I am afraid pork ribs may just get too dried out at that temperature.
      Last edited by jfmorris; June 16, 2020, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I cook chix as hot as my Kettle will go and it's usually done in 45 to 60 minutes, but ribs are cooked at 250° to 275°, and they take much longer to cook. So I'd cook the ribs first and then the chix. If you like to sauce your ribs at the end of the cook, you can do that after the chix is done, or do it in the oven under the broiler to caramelize the sauce and hopefully have everything finished about the same time.

Comment

I'm always surprised to read the Steve Raichlen pork rib recipes that cook them at 325° to 350°--done in 2 hours on the grill. For smoker use, though, he recommends 225-250° cooking temps.

Master this easy ribs recipe from Steven Raichlen. Learn how to skin the ribs, rub the meat, and glaze it with a delicious barbecue sauce.

The dish that made Kansas City famous—spareribs rubbed with spices, sprayed with apple cider and whiskey, and sizzled with a sweet and smoky barbecue sauce.

The Rendezvous Rib recipe over on the free side also cooks them at 350°, but Meathead's other rib recipes recommend 225-250°.

Kathryn

Comment

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            I know Rendezvous cooks ribs hot, but they are NOT my favorite ribs in Memphis. Maybe that's why.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed, BFlynn . Way better ribs to be had there.

Kathryn

Because my BKK has a mind of its own I have learned to do ribs in the 300ish range
          My formula so far is coat in mayo as a binder for dry rub and leave in fridge till last moment
          Flip ribs every 30-40 mins depending on how they’re looking
          Crutching is optional if everything goes according to Hoyle they should be perfect in 3-4 hours
          Haven’t tried to smoke chicken yet, can’t help you there

Comment

I'm curious as to what is the driver for the 300 degree requirement. Seems to me to be too hot for traditional ribs (though as others have pointed out, it has been done) and about 50 degrees too low for good crunchy skin on chicken. Is this a personal preference or are you somehow limited by your equipment? In any event, I'd cook the ribs first and then faux cambro while you cook the chicken. No need to try to get them cooked at the same pit temp and to have them done at the same time.

Comment

What cooker are you using?

Comment

Hmmm...I smoked a brined and spatchcocked Cornish game hen on my Weber Genesis grill last night. Average grill temp was 237F and chicken cooked to 155F in about an 1 hour and 30 minutes. Took it off and set grill to inferno and crisped chicken for about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Was delicious and VERY moist and skin was totally crisp. The dark color is from the brown sugar, paprika and apple wood smoke

So whats with the 350F cooking temp for chicken? Is this a completely different procedure than what I did? Or did I just get lucky?
                Attached Files

Comment

My 2 cents....It sort of depends on what cooker you're using. For me, I would start some Saint Louis ribs at around 250-260F and let them go for 2:45-3 hours....keeping an eye on them. Then I would add my spatchcock chicken. Allow the chicken to ride at the lower temp to render some of the fat out while the ribs finish. When the ribs are done, I would open my vents and let the temp get 375-400+ and finish the chicken...I'm thinking in 20-30 mins at this higher temp you will finish the bird and the skin should crisp nicely. Watch and make sure you don't burn the skin but you should be fine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here