Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Fake' Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have nothing against anything people wanna eat. I love "Morningstar" on a toasted bun with cheese. I like all kinds of stuff. I personally have nothing good to say about the smell of these. Taste to me is Blah... I can make a burger or two. I really tried with these. The customers really liked them a lot. I did not.

Guess who is right. Yup. I make a lot of vegetables too and I don’t eat that crap either. My customers love them. To each their own.

I will let this speak for itself. Well and me since I was talking.

edit: notice the inadvertent advertisement for the black box in the top of the picture frame.

Last edited by HouseHomey; February 4, 2020, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Woof, woof! ;-)

If you don't wanna eat meat, that is a choice. But trying to imitate it makes no sense to me, it is never gonna be the same; and who knows what they have to put in there to make it come close.

Still waiting on the Tofu brisket........

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Mmmm... tofu. It’s wet aging now.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I was actually thinking the Chicken man was going to find this whole thread offensive. LOL. HouseHomey

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Well there is that Numb dude that started it. The offense doesn’t fall far from the tree. 😃

I'm down for Beyond Broccoli, made from 100% real pork.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      perfect pairing

Weird grind up plants and make it taste like chicken. I thought chickens have been doing that for thousands of years on their own

Comment

No need to eat veggies just eat Memphis ribs. They are a perfectly balanced diet of protein and vegetable based products. Garlic/Rosemary/onion/paprika/ pepper

Comment

So... for all of the whining here about this... it's not like the nuggets at KFC are hand chopped meat by culinary experts. It's processed ground chicken and to that degree this substitute is fine.

As your the disdain above... 1) this is partly for vegetarians, but mostly for people who'd like to cut back on meat vs eliminate it entirely, 2) factory chicken farms are f*ing horrific places and 3) if this lets people enjoy something that tastes mostly like meat and nothing has to die to accomplish that I don't see an issue.

Get over yourselves.

Comment

• dahcopilot
          dahcopilot commented
          Editing a comment
          my brother in law raises chickens for tyson and there is nothing f"n horrific about his farm

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          rickgregory that's an inordinate amount of outrage from someone who has no problem saying things like "wow, you're all a bunch of sensitive little flowers."
          Last edited by Steve R.; February 13, 2020, 06:36 AM.

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          Steve R. Or someone who says not to be condescending and "If you don't have anything helpful to say, please skip commenting further"

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-or-recyclable Post 7.3

Margarine is plant based. Butter is animal based. Which one did they tell everyone was more healthy? What have we learned? What do we still not know?

Comment

• dahcopilot
          dahcopilot commented
          Editing a comment
          butter tastes better

there's lots of non love for KFC here! While I don't eat it often, I do really enjoy KFC chicken. I think it's tasty stuff. I think it's extremely overpriced tasty stuff, but tasty nonetheless. I however will not be in line anytime soon for fake meat. In my personal opinion if I want meat I'll get it, if I want non-meat it will probably be salad not a science project.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          My point exactly. Either eat real meat, or don't. But stop trying to fake it.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t know man. Try a Morningstar with American cheese and a soft toasted bun. (The cheap kind) 😃

I tried a "beyond something " sandwich at Dunkin Donuts recently. It was a sausage substitute, and actually did not taste bad. I would not want it every day, but it was decent.

I have to say that I am suspicious of the term "plant based." How many transformations does the plant material go through to become "chicken" ???

Comment

Vegans, vegetarians... not exactly certain these are available to the strict dieters, as they are cooked in the same vats as the regular nuggets/chicken.

Perhaps they should call it Flour-based chicken?

Water, Enriched wheat flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Soy Protein Isolate, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Enriched bleached wheat flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Wheat Gluten, Natural Flavor, Yeast Extract, and less than 2 percent of: Breadcrumbs (Wheat Flour, Distilled Vinegar, Sea Salt, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Inactive Yeast, Spice Extractives), Chili Pepper, Citric Acid, Garlic Powder, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Modified Wheat Starch, Onion Powder, Pea Extract, Rice Flour, Salt, Spice, Titanium Dioxide (for color).
          Last edited by Porkies; February 12, 2020, 11:44 AM. Reason: edited for addition

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            I seem to recall that KFC was saying it was not Vegan for the reason you mentioned. However, I seem to recall that if it takes off they could make it in separate fryers to meet the Vegan standard.

I miss the days when tofu was the meat alternative. I didn't eat it, but at least nobody really pretended it was meat.

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            I add a tofu to my hot & sour soup...never once claimed it tastes like chicken. LOL

I know, I know, we should just quit whining and get over it. It's all about people just being able to enjoy something that tastes like meat....or is it?

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            ComfortablyNumb Hey, don't get me wrong. That's some nice lingerie there! 😜

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't see the lingerie ads. Maybe my browsing habits are different than some of y'all.

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            Steve R. I didn't get any lingerie ads either. I had to Google 'spicylingerie'. Thankfully Mrs. CN wasn't around so I didn't have to do no 'splainin'!

Hard pass.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here