Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buttered turkey with bone marrow mash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buttered turkey with bone marrow mash

Hi friends,

yesterday I decided to cook a whole turkey on my grill. I like cooking the whole bird, plenty of food to go around. This time I wanted to try and add some flavor to the mash also, so I made it with bone marrow. The bone marrow replaces half the butter I normally add to the mash. It turned out very good indeed, there's just more flavor to marrow vs real butter.

I rubbed the turkey with bbq rub, and then injected 100 grams of (melted) butter in it. The butter injection works really well with turkey.

I put the turkey on at 1pm, and it was done 2.5 hours later (a 9lb bird). I smoked it with cherry wood at 270° F. But to make sure I could make an awesome gravy I placed carrots, a red onion and some bacon in the aluminum drip pan underneath.

The drip pan with what's to become sauce:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bbq_turkey_pan.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	78808

Here's the bird, 1 hour into the cook, with the drip pan underneath:

Name:	bbq_turkey_grate.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	78811

Here's the turkey when it's done, all brown and crisp skin, with moist and succulent meat:

Name:	bbq_turkey.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	78812

Gravy material with jus:

Name:	bbq_turkey_gravy.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	78810

I transferred the contents of the drip pan (minus the bacon) into a sauce pan, then added 2 tbsp cognac, 2 cups cooking cream and half an apple (peeled and pitted). I let it all simmer for 15-20 minutes, then poured the sauce into a blender to blend it smooth. Mmmm, good stuff!

The mash was made as you usually make mash, but instead of using a large chunk of butter I replaced half of it with bone marrow. It is found in large grocery stores, it is the thigh bone from a cow, cut in 2-3 inch pieces. I let it thaw a bit, then poked the marrow out of the bones. I roasted it on the grill, but 15 minutes in a 400° F oven works just as well.

The bone marrow (from one bone), in the raw:

Name:	bone_marrow.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	78813

Bone marrow is 85% fat, some salt and proteins. Once heated, add it to the potato mash, and stir. Salt and pepper to taste. I really liked it. It isn't that different from ordinary mash with just butter, but the marrow definitely adds more and richer flavor.

Here's the plate, ready to serve:

Name:	bbq_turkey_plate.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	78809

I will definitely use bone marrow more in my cooking, will see if I can roast it with some chopped parsely and/or garlic stuffed on top of the bones.

Looks pretty tasty. Never tried marrow in place of butter. Will have to try that some time.

Comment

If I want an immediate restraining order placed on me I'll give that marrow a try in front of my wife next turkey I cook.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha ha, I hear you. My wife wasn't too excited either about the whole thing.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here