Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper Probe Placement in Spatchcocked Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper Probe Placement in Spatchcocked Turkey

I would be grateful if anyone would be able to post pics showing correct probe placement in a spatchcocked turkey. I can do a chicken no problem, but I'm having a little harder time with the turkey.

Where do you stick your chicken?

Comment

Give this a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PEAQ_YopGk
      Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Attjack View Post
        Where do you stick your chicken?
        I put it in the thick part of the breast horizontally from the front. The chicken breasts are easier for me because they're smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo View Post
          Give this a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PEAQ_YopGk
          Hope this helps.
          Thanks! You can't go wrong with Malcolm Reed and it does look pretty easy going vertically.

Comment

I suggest that after the the temp of your bird starts to rise, go back and move the probe a bit to make sure it is displaying the lowest temp.

Comment

Do you only have 1 meat probe? If so I'd just place it in the center-most point of the breast. Hard to tell exactly, but with a good eye you can get close. The breast is what you don't want to overcook, 150-155 is good, 160 absolute max. The legs/thighs, who cares, they're good at 170-190. Me, I prefer dark meat up there at 180-190. If you have 2, put one in the leg/thigh or other breast to be extra safe. If you have an instant read, then you can spot check the dark meat as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
                I suggest that after the the temp of your bird starts to rise, go back and move the probe a bit to make sure it is displaying the lowest temp.
                I ended up doing this for my first time out. It seemed to be cooking fast and sure enough a little movement brought the temp down to where I thought it should be.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I kinda said the same thing below before reading this. Smart!

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                Do you only have 1 meat probe? If so I'd just place it in the center-most point of the breast. Hard to tell exactly, but with a good eye you can get close. The breast is what you don't want to overcook, 150-155 is good, 160 absolute max. The legs/thighs, who cares, they're good at 170-190. Me, I prefer dark meat up there at 180-190. If you have 2, put one in the leg/thigh or other breast to be extra safe. If you have an instant read, then you can spot check the dark meat as needed.
                For some reason trying to get the center of the breast horizontally was a little tricky. This was my first turkey and it all looks a little different when spatchcocked. Placing the probe vertically is the way for me to go. I'll try another probe in the thigh. I'm with you on this about if the breast is done the legs and thighs take care of themselves.

Good tip about 150 - 155 because I went to 160 (and the probe was probably placed a little too close to the bone) and I was surprised at the carryover after cooking at 325.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's also a good idea in my opinion halfway through the cook (more or less) to go out and move the probe in a little deeper to see if the temp changes, then pull it out a little to see if it changes. Wherever you get the lower reading, leave it there. That will sorta help you determine where is the deepest point, but it only works after it's been cooking so that the outer layers are warmer. That's what I do w/ chicken or turkey a couple times during the cook.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here