Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three Whole Chickens on a Gas Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three Whole Chickens on a Gas Grill

I am vacationing far away from home (and my grilling "toolbelt") and being pressed into service to cook. A dozen people are coming over tomorrow and my son and his bride thought "Hey, Dad. How about if you cook these three whole chickens on the gas grill!"

OK, I have only a Weber Kettle charcoal grill but, what can happen!?

I'm looking at doing the "Grilled Citrus Herb Spatchcocked Chicken". Any recommendations or things I should be aware of? I'm a little concerned about space but think they'll fit. I assume I should rotate them at some point. Recommended wood?

If this fits in another topic, I'm OK if it gets moved. I'm in kind of a rush.

Thanks.

I’d probably cut them in half rather than spatchcock. Easier to arrange halves to fit on a small grill.

As far as wood goes, any mild fruit wood works well with poultry.
    Last edited by MBMorgan; December 24, 2019, 03:37 PM.

Comment

I have not cook that recipe. I bet it turns out great!

Comment

Dont know what size Kettle. I'm with MBMorgan. I have a 22 and I can't see 3 spatchcocked fitting.

Comment

Can you set it up for indirect? That is the best for chicken.

Comment

In my haste, I guess I did not explain the situation all that well.

I have a Weber Kettle at home, but not here. Here they have a typical rectangular shaped cooking grate gas grill. It looks like it will fit two spatchcocked chickens side-by-side on the indirect side with the legs toward the side with the heat, but the third one will have to be in a second row. The recipe calls for about an hour total cooking time, so I was thinking I would rotate positions every 20 minutes. I'm also figuring that's going to add to the cooking time, but I have a meat thermometer to check the temps.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              That sounds better. Indirect if you can fit. Rotate as planed \. pecan is what we like on poultry.
              Last edited by HawkerXP; December 24, 2019, 04:46 PM.

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Pecan gives poultry a beautiful color, and is fairly mild tasting. Just be careful with the smoke; poultry picks it up very quickly.

watch for flairups. Unless you have grill grates, or the Charbroiled tru infrared system chicken on a Gasser can get away from you in a hurry. Make some pecanwood foil smoke bombs to add.

Comment

Also get some wood chips ( preferably fruit) & pack them in aluniminamum foil. The rotating positions sounds cool. Dry brine em also. Your formula will prevent them from tasting like gas. 😎

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                texastweeter , probably from all the chems in the supplements. Whew, more n’ tastin, smellin too. Probably had to check if ya got any on ya.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                supliments.....hahaha, Sure...thats what we were taking...

• MarkN
                MarkN commented
                Editing a comment
                Got the wood chips yesterday and they had none that were fruit. Got hickory. Now that I think of it, there may have been one bag of pecan. Oh, well. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Prepping the rubs. I'm "going in" in an hour or so. If successful, pictures may follow. If not, .......

All's well that end's well. One of the ovens turned out to be available, so I roasted one chicken in the oven and the other two on the grill. Here are the shots of the two birds prepped and then cooked. Everyone was happy (except the vegetarian who could only admire the aroma).
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Chicken Before.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	783339Click image for larger version

Name:	Chicken After.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	783340

Comment

• DavidNorcross
                DavidNorcross commented
                Editing a comment
                I would be interested in the oven flavor vs the gasser myself.

• Uncle Bob
                Uncle Bob commented
                Editing a comment
                Your post begs the question, are vegetarians ever really happy?

• MarkN
                MarkN commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a very good and reliable oven method (from ATK) but you can't get the smoke flavor that you get with the grill. The hickory was great, but I'll try pecan and the fruit woods when I make this in the future. Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here